Whitby area find

dhiggi

Whilst on a long walk today in the Runswick Bay area looking for ammonites to practice my new air pen on, my daughter picked this up and commented that ‘it looks like poo’ (as most nine year olds probably would)

As I could offer no other identification for it I thought I’d ask here. There are also a couple of bivalves or similar to the side of it.

Thank you for looking 

3B3B884B-B8A0-4EF0-9668-229C009DB18A.jpeg

4278E0EB-6FE1-4946-9EE6-D6EAD4AB2782.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looks like poo. 

Well I can’t argue with her that it looks like poo, but could it be? I’m pretty sure coprolites exist in the area but I can’t find a reliable picture of what they might look like

1 minute ago, LiamL said:

It's a coprolite and a lovely example. 

Thank you Liam. Is it possible to speculate on the creature in question?

12 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

Is it possible to speculate on the creature in question?

Given the area, I would guess Ichthyosaur but large fish and plesiosaur are also options

• I found this Informative 3

23 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

Thank you Liam. Is it possible to speculate on the creature in question?

You can never know for sure but like @PaleoNoel has said ichthyosaur, plesiosaur, or Gyrosteus are a good bet. Maybe even croc. Neat find either way.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

5 minutes ago, LiamL said:

You might want to stabilise the shale because it cracks when it dries out. 

Thank you. I’ve had shale fossils shatter on me before so I’ve got it somewhere cold and damp at the moment. Can this be done with PVA or similar household products or do I need to order something online for the job?

6 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

Thank you. I’ve had shale fossils shatter on me before so I’ve got it somewhere cold and damp at the moment. Can this be done with PVA or similar household products or do I need to order something online for the job?

That's some nice "stuff"! (Quotation marks are mine. Spelling is courtesy of the forum software.) :D I'd use something professional grade on that specimen. I believe retention is in order.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

it was the neighbor's cat ;)

Were cats part of the  ichthyosaur diet???

12 hours ago, dhiggi said:

PVA does work, and you can apply a thin solution to wet objects. It's irreversible though and paraloid solution is a better bet, applied after slow drying out. For a splitting shale, use a 5 - 10% solution in acetone (weight:volume, that's 5 - 10g in 100ml). With good ventilation! 

Edited by TqB

Tarquin

2 hours ago, TqB said:

PVA does work, and you can apply a thin solution to wet objects. It's irreversible though and paraloid solution is a better bet, applied after slow drying out. For a splitting shale, use a 5 - 10% solution in acetone (weight:volume, that's 5 - 10g in 100ml). With good ventilation! 

Thank you @TqB, we’ve got quite a few nice specimens in shale now that I’d be upset to lose so I’ll do the job properly 

22 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I'm still pretty sure it was the neighbor's cat ;)

What was your neighbor's cat doing in England? Oops, never mind. I just read that it was being eaten by an ichthyosaur. :default_rofl:

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thank you @GeschWhat

I have paraloid and acetone on order; would you suggest submerging/coating all of the matrix right up to the coprolite, or maybe leaving the whole top surface free from the adhesive?

35 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

Thank you @GeschWhat

I have paraloid and acetone on order; would you suggest submerging/coating all of the matrix right up to the coprolite, or maybe leaving the whole top surface free from the adhesive?

I usually just use a small, soft artist's paint brush to dab the solution on the top surface of the matrix. Try to stay about a 1 - 0.5 cm away from the coprolite as you apply the solution in case it runs. 

• I found this Informative 2

Just now, GeschWhat said:

I usually just use a small, soft artist's paint brush to dab the solution on the top surface of the matrix. Try to stay about a 1 - 0.5 cm away from the coprolite as you apply the solution in case it runs. 

So is it enough just to coat the outside of the shale and not necessarily to let it soak into any splits that may already exist?

Protect the poo, protect the poo,

So carefully placed in the prehistoric loo,

The delicate lines of hardened goo,

Preserved as if it were brand new,

Of irreplaceable value,

So whatever you do, protect the poo,

And keep it free of any glue!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

I apologize for my horrific poetry,

I don't know what got in to me. :Wink1:

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain