joshuajbelanger

9-20-20 Trip to my little slice of badlands

jcbshark

Those are some great finds Josh! Love the rattlesnake pics too :thumbsu:

minnbuckeye

Ditto to Jeff's comments!! Looks like the environment is a little drier than the rivers of Florida. I did fly into Denver this summer to go to a Veterinary Conference in Wyoming. But due to Covid, I refrained from contacting you. Hopefully the vaccine AND masks will allow normalcy next year. Keep up the great finds.

Mike

Ruger9a

Great finds, except for the one that rattles......

Max-fossils

Great finds! You're doing well out there!

3 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

BABE854C-6698-465D-97C6-28B7DA602068.jpeg

What animal is that big tooth here from? Doesn't look like oredont to me. 

joshuajbelanger
3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Great finds! You're doing well out there!

What animal is that big tooth here from? Doesn't look like oredont to me. 

I assumed this was oreodont, I’m not too familiar with the stock out here yet!  Let me know what you think.

B667DA9F-D925-4E8B-BAC1-0177C41A590C.jpeg

6E96CDCA-3AD2-4912-BA9D-EE2499BC5BDF.jpeg

AD960902-FFE5-43CB-8715-7FF824AE0BA9.jpeg

2ADF6106-BBEE-41BC-ADB1-400F53128CB9.jpeg

joshuajbelanger
4 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Ditto to Jeff's comments!! Looks like the environment is a little drier than the rivers of Florida. I did fly into Denver this summer to go to a Veterinary Conference in Wyoming. But due to Covid, I refrained from contacting you. Hopefully the vaccine AND masks will allow normalcy next year. Keep up the great finds.

Mike

Maybe once the snows come and go, and we see some normalcy, you and Jeff can come on by and I’ll take you there.  I’ll agree to show you guys my super secret spot, only if you continue to live across the country :heartylaugh:

rand95

Congrats on your finds.

Tidgy's Dad

Very nice indeed! 

Nice to get out hunting again, I'm sure. 

Max-fossils
2 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

I assumed this was oreodont, I’m not too familiar with the stock out here yet!  Let me know what you think

My first thought was Archaeotherium, and a friend of mine said it could be that or Hyaenodon. Both are a lot more exciting than oreodont! Definitely a very cool find :D 

Try finding a good match online, maybe I could give you a hand tomorrow. But I don't believe it to be oreodont ;) 

Ludwigia

Great finds!

joshuajbelanger

That’s really cool @Max-fossils!  I don’t know too much about the white river formation fossils, so when I see that color I just assume oreodont. It did strike me as more carnivore though, even reminding me of the dire wolf teeth I have found in Florida!  Very very cool!  

jpc

I agree... either Archaeotherium or Hyaenodon.   There is a lot more than oreodonts out there.  You just have to train yourself to leave them and go find the next coolest find.  I say this after having spent two days in the White River this summer and collected mostly oreodonts. I always hope for something else.  

joshuajbelanger

@jpc  They are just so new to me!  And anyway, I pick up every dang thing I see.  I have to tell myself to leave the chunkasaurus on the ground or my wife will leave me!  Lol

henpecked

Josh those are some great fossils.

taj

Nice finds ! That snake looks like extremely aggressive .. I would not like to face it on my path !

Monica

Awesome jaws, Joshua!!! :yay-smiley-1:

joshuajbelanger

Oh yeah, as I started piecing this jaw back together, I realized it isn’t a large jaw, but a small skull!  Wonder how much I’ll be able to puzzle together!

A2B36AB8-F64C-4232-9FDC-32EC5C567F6B.jpeg

Opabinia Blues

Those are definitely nice jaws! I myself have made the *mistake* in the past of picking up complete yet cracked tortoise shells from the white river and trying to piece them back together - I've never completed one, but I do have several gallon bags of shell pieces.

joshuajbelanger
2 hours ago, OpabiniaBoogaloo said:

Those are definitely nice jaws! I myself have made the *mistake* in the past of picking up complete yet cracked tortoise shells from the white river and trying to piece them back together - I've never completed one, but I do have several gallon bags of shell pieces.

Yeah, it’s weird, I put together a whole turtle from the peace river.  That wasn’t that difficult; but those white river tortoise just break apart in an impossible way.  I just leave them where they are now.  I suppose if I ran across a mostly intact shell, I would plaster it, but it would have to be immaculate.

turtlesteve
On 9/24/2020 at 12:05 AM, joshuajbelanger said:

Yeah, it’s weird, I put together a whole turtle from the peace river.  That wasn’t that difficult; but those white river tortoise just break apart in an impossible way.  I just leave them where they are now.  I suppose if I ran across a mostly intact shell, I would plaster it, but it would have to be immaculate.

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.  I’d re-assemble one (or try) no matter how bad it came apart, as long as almost all the pieces are there.  

One day I want to get one that is complete, unprepped, but exploded (rather than the partial one I’ve got now) - I would like to present / display it like a modern tortoise shell e.g hollow inside.  It would never make sense to take a good one apart to reassemble it this way, but no harm if it’s already disarticulated.

Steve

joshuajbelanger
13 minutes ago, turtlesteve said:

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.  I’d re-assemble one (or try) no matter how bad it came apart, as long as almost all the pieces are there.  

One day I want to get one that is complete, unprepped, but exploded (rather than the partial one I’ve got now) - I would like to present / display it like a modern tortoise shell e.g hollow inside.  It would never make sense to take a good one apart to reassemble it this way, but no harm if it’s already disarticulated.

Steve

Your name checks out lol