Jump to content
joshuajbelanger

9-20-20 Trip to my little slice of badlands

Recommended Posts

jcbshark

Those are some great finds Josh! Love the rattlesnake pics too :thumbsu:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye

Ditto to Jeff's comments!! Looks like the environment is a little drier than the rivers of Florida. I did fly into Denver this summer to go to a Veterinary Conference in Wyoming. But due to Covid, I refrained from contacting you. Hopefully the vaccine AND masks will allow normalcy next year. Keep up the great finds.

 

 Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruger9a

Great finds, except for the one that rattles......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils

Great finds! You're doing well out there!

 

3 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

BABE854C-6698-465D-97C6-28B7DA602068.jpeg

What animal is that big tooth here from? Doesn't look like oredont to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joshuajbelanger
3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Great finds! You're doing well out there!

 

What animal is that big tooth here from? Doesn't look like oredont to me. 


I assumed this was oreodont, I’m not too familiar with the stock out here yet!  Let me know what you think.

B667DA9F-D925-4E8B-BAC1-0177C41A590C.jpeg

6E96CDCA-3AD2-4912-BA9D-EE2499BC5BDF.jpeg

AD960902-FFE5-43CB-8715-7FF824AE0BA9.jpeg

2ADF6106-BBEE-41BC-ADB1-400F53128CB9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joshuajbelanger
4 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Ditto to Jeff's comments!! Looks like the environment is a little drier than the rivers of Florida. I did fly into Denver this summer to go to a Veterinary Conference in Wyoming. But due to Covid, I refrained from contacting you. Hopefully the vaccine AND masks will allow normalcy next year. Keep up the great finds.

 

 Mike


Maybe once the snows come and go, and we see some normalcy, you and Jeff can come on by and I’ll take you there.  I’ll agree to show you guys my super secret spot, only if you continue to live across the country :heartylaugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rand95

Congrats on your finds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Very nice indeed! 

Nice to get out hunting again, I'm sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
2 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

I assumed this was oreodont, I’m not too familiar with the stock out here yet!  Let me know what you think

My first thought was Archaeotherium, and a friend of mine said it could be that or Hyaenodon. Both are a lot more exciting than oreodont! Definitely a very cool find :D 

Try finding a good match online, maybe I could give you a hand tomorrow. But I don't believe it to be oreodont ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ludwigia

Great finds!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joshuajbelanger

That’s really cool @Max-fossils!  I don’t know too much about the white river formation fossils, so when I see that color I just assume oreodont. It did strike me as more carnivore though, even reminding me of the dire wolf teeth I have found in Florida!  Very very cool!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpc

I agree... either Archaeotherium or Hyaenodon.   There is a lot more than oreodonts out there.  You just have to train yourself to leave them and go find the next coolest find.  I say this after having spent two days in the White River this summer and collected mostly oreodonts. I always hope for something else.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joshuajbelanger

@jpc  They are just so new to me!  And anyway, I pick up every dang thing I see.  I have to tell myself to leave the chunkasaurus on the ground or my wife will leave me!  Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
henpecked

Josh those are some great fossils.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taj

Nice finds ! That snake looks like extremely aggressive .. I would not like to face it on my path !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Monica

Awesome jaws, Joshua!!! :yay-smiley-1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joshuajbelanger

Oh yeah, as I started piecing this jaw back together, I realized it isn’t a large jaw, but a small skull!  Wonder how much I’ll be able to puzzle together!

A2B36AB8-F64C-4232-9FDC-32EC5C567F6B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Opabinia Blues

Those are definitely nice jaws! I myself have made the *mistake* in the past of picking up complete yet cracked tortoise shells from the white river and trying to piece them back together - I've never completed one, but I do have several gallon bags of shell pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joshuajbelanger
2 hours ago, OpabiniaBoogaloo said:

Those are definitely nice jaws! I myself have made the *mistake* in the past of picking up complete yet cracked tortoise shells from the white river and trying to piece them back together - I've never completed one, but I do have several gallon bags of shell pieces.

Yeah, it’s weird, I put together a whole turtle from the peace river.  That wasn’t that difficult; but those white river tortoise just break apart in an impossible way.  I just leave them where they are now.  I suppose if I ran across a mostly intact shell, I would plaster it, but it would have to be immaculate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
turtlesteve
On 9/24/2020 at 12:05 AM, joshuajbelanger said:

Yeah, it’s weird, I put together a whole turtle from the peace river.  That wasn’t that difficult; but those white river tortoise just break apart in an impossible way.  I just leave them where they are now.  I suppose if I ran across a mostly intact shell, I would plaster it, but it would have to be immaculate.

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.  I’d re-assemble one (or try) no matter how bad it came apart, as long as almost all the pieces are there.  


One day I want to get one that is complete, unprepped, but exploded (rather than the partial one I’ve got now) - I would like to present / display it like a modern tortoise shell e.g hollow inside.  It would never make sense to take a good one apart to reassemble it this way, but no harm if it’s already disarticulated.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joshuajbelanger
13 minutes ago, turtlesteve said:

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.  I’d re-assemble one (or try) no matter how bad it came apart, as long as almost all the pieces are there.  


One day I want to get one that is complete, unprepped, but exploded (rather than the partial one I’ve got now) - I would like to present / display it like a modern tortoise shell e.g hollow inside.  It would never make sense to take a good one apart to reassemble it this way, but no harm if it’s already disarticulated.

 

Steve

Your name checks out lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×