Sizing Compressor for Prep Lab

TheFifthSun

Looking for some assistance and guidance.  I have spent countless hours reading posts about fossil preparation and specifically about fish prep.  The knowledge shared here is humbling to say the least.  So here goes:  If your end goal is to be able to do all the things necessary for 18" layer Green River material, split fish Green River material, Hell Creek material; how big of a compressor should I start thinking is overkill?  The smallest capacity I've considered is 20 gallons, the largest 80.  I'm just wondering what people are using in terms of capacity and if I'm better off going bigger for future growth of my needs, or for example a 27 gallon is all that I would ever need running 1 tool at a time.  I very much appreciate any input!

Edited by TheFifthSun
missed a sentence

When I was in your position, this forum did not exist.  I just went big.  I got a 60 gallon compressor and have never looked back.  My first one broke down once and while I was waiting for parts to come in, I rented a portable thing built like a wheelbarrow with two small tanks along the sides.  I fond that that one was continuously running to run my tools (Chicago pneumatic air scribe).  You don't want a compressor that will run all the time.  That will burn it out very quickly.  Go big or go home.   Others might have better actually data and numbers, but that is my experience. 

• I found this Informative 1

I would go with the 60-80 gallon. Consider size and weight and where you will put it, garage or basement and can you get it down their or run pipe and hose to it?  They are noisy and you will need an inline water trap  and regulator. 

Bigger is better for capacity.  As was previously mentioned, the less your compressor run time is, the better.

I went with an 80.

Tank size is only one part of the equation. Thankfully, large tank compressors tend to fit all the other criteria by default. The main consideration is CFM (cubic feet/minute). You can have a 200 gallon tank and eventually, your compressor will not keep up with the air demand if your compressor doesn't have a high enough CFM rating. I am currently running a 21 gallon 120v compressor with a 4.7 CFM rating.

This is able to cycle normally (every 10-15 minutes running for 2 minutes or so) with constant use of my ME9100 scribe and abrasive system. It can't push my Super Jack at anything past 1/2 capacity. I'm eventually going to upgrade to a larger compressor but that involves more money and adding a 240V circuit to my electrical panel (thankfully, I can do that myself). You won't use anything as big as a Super Jack on Green river fish, and I doubt you will on Hell Creek stuff, but you never know what you will prep in the future. I prepped for a long time before I sprung for the Super Jack and it has been a game changer when prepping large amounts of hard matrix.

• I found this Informative 3

Im with everybody here.  The 60/80 gallon tankers push around 23 cfm so you will never have to think about changing or getting something bigger.  And the best of luck

PS,  I put thick 1/2 inch pieces of hard rubber under the feet of the tank to help with the vibration in my garage. 

RB

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Im with everybody here.  The 60/80 gallon tankers push around 23 cfm so you will never have to think about changing or getting something bigger.  And the best of luck

PS,  I put thick 1/2 inch pieces of hard rubber under the feet of the tank to help with the vibration in my garage. 

RB

I put mine on rubber wheels so I can move it if/when needed.