Should i use dust masks for hand prep?

Jurassicz1

So i prep with dental picks. Do i need a dust mask for it? Also i was putting small drops of glue cyanoacrylate i think its called. What happens if u breath in a little bit of glue? Is it dangerous? 

If you have worries, you can set up a (very) gentle airflow away from your face. Solves both problems at once.

Franz Bernhard

If it's not a bother, then, it doesn't hurt.  Definitely wear some form of eye protection though.  Even though the probability of something bad happening is minimal, it only takes once.  I know I need to be better about this one myself.

My short answer is.......YES! I use masks when I do any prepping but then again I have A.C.O.S. Asthma copd overlap syndrome. When prepping with picks you don’t stir up as much dust but then in a absent minded moment you blow the piece clear and get a face full or lung full of dust wich could be bad juju. I used to think it would be ok since I was just using a pick until I did exactly that and gave myself a breathing attack. Now no mask no prep....

• I found this Informative 1

When in doubt. Yes, wear a mask.

But to elaborate a bit more. It really depends on the type of fossil and type of prep whether a mask is needed. Even with just manual prep some fossils can generate a lot of dust. While some others almost don't generate any dust at all.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

On 9/23/2020 at 3:33 PM, LordTrilobite said:

When in doubt. Yes, wear a mask.

But to elaborate a bit more. It really depends on the type of fossil and type of prep whether a mask is needed. Even with just manual prep some fossils can generate a lot of dust. While some others almost don't generate any dust at all.

Oh ok can i use those surgical masks? 

The important part is if the seal is tight. I'm definitely not an expert on this though. If you wear a mask you'll be able to feel how well it seals. But to be safe I would suggest using an actual dust mask that is made for that purpose.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Jurassicz said:

can i use those surgical masks?

"Yes", but they are useless. They only block larger particles, which are also already filtered by your nose and do not go into the lung.

For finer particles (aerosol size), you will need a specifically certified mask. And fit is everything. If it does not fit correctly, forget it.

Franz Bernhard

For using tools like dental pics, you dont need a face mask unless you have some underlying medical issues which a tiny amount of dust could create problems.  Youre likely to breath more dust from going outside on a windy day.  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

19 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

For using tools like dental pics, you dont need a face mask unless you have some underlying medical issues which a tiny amount of dust could create problems.  Youre likely to breath more dust from going outside on a windy day.  

Actually I would disagree with this. Most of the time, yes you are right. But there are certain types of fossils that will still produce a whole lot of dust just when prepping with dental picks. Most of my mosasaur material for example is all fine and doesn't produce much dust. The grains are generally quite big. But I have this one mosasaur jaw that I'm still prepping that simply cannot be prepped with dental picks without wearing a proper dust mask. At least this is the case for when I work inside.