Circles on Sand Dollar

Top Trilo

I’ve had this mepygurus marmonti sand dollar from the Jurassic of Madagascar for years now and when I was looking at it I noticed these small circles on the bottom. Are these on every sand dollar, it appears to be a part of it so my guess was some sort of way for tiny legs to attach but it’s just a guess the sand dollar is 7.5 centimeters and each dot is just under 1 millimeter8A2C97BA-D28B-40F1-A84F-DAC3EF6163E5.thumb.jpeg.3e8931ac03d3b9d3d1a46648a56ffd75.jpeg39BBDEFC-2240-4F1D-9C5A-45278B45E5BD.thumb.jpeg.7ee0879696126aa89cd2b132c5412aed.jpeg

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Agreed! I have a few fossilized sand dollars and they have the same bumps. It's just apart of the anatomy of the echinoid. You can see the same structure on modern sand dollars as well.

• I found this Informative 1

Please show us a complete view of the other side of the sea urchin.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

5 hours ago, Coco said:

Please show us a complete view of the other side of the sea urchin.

814D3DF2-6748-4845-965D-76A6168EE6EA.thumb.jpeg.9f23df459acf90226556530b8654e5aa.jpeg

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

44 minutes ago, caterpillar said:
I could be wrong but Mepygurus is not considered as sand dollar. Rather sea urchins of the order Clypeasteroides

yup

4 hours ago, caterpillar said:
I could be wrong but Mepygurus is not considered as sand dollar. Rather sea urchins of the order Clypeasteroides

Thank you for the correction