Is this a real fossil?

Minervaa

Is this a real fossil? And if it is how much repairing/work has been done to it if any? (It's a Hyphalosaurus, sorry about the image quality, I couldn't get any better.)Capture.PNG.894bf22fb156e0f56b21904cb23e4288.PNG

Just by using some methods I've learned on the forum I would ay its not real.

It looks way to complete and articulated.

Also I counted 10 ribs on the top and way more on the bottom.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I'm not sure if much can be told from this picture. Usually for these ideally you'd want good focused close ups of a few different areas. Perhaps @Fossildude19 can make some deductions from this.

By the way, welcome to the forum! 

I agree and disagree, not necessarily in that order. 

Yes, we need much closer pictures to answer the question.

I think if anyone were to fake something like this, they would make a much better specimen.  The fact that it is missing some ribs and foot/leg bones suggest to me that it is real.

BUt if you can get close-ups that would help. 

• I found this Informative 2

I agree that closer photos would help. I'm just guessing, I'm not saying for sure that its fake, I don't have enough experience in fossils to be sure, just some things that raise suspicions.

After looking at it again though another thing that jumped out was how the tail is in a perfectly straight line until the last little bit, while the rest of the specimen is curved.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

The site doesn't have any close up images and I am not rich enough to want to buy fakes so I want to be really careful. Sorry for not being able to provide better quality images

Welcome to the Forum. :)

In all honesty, this looks painted on to me. 

I've noticed many of these that are carved, (usually not well)  then painted. 

The eye sockets are different sizes. 

Since you cannot get better pictures, I would pass on this. 

Capture.PNG.894bf22fb156e0f56b21904cb23e4288.png

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks everyone for your time! Finding affordable fossils has been pretty difficult so I really appreciate the assistance. Most of the time when I see something that looks good it turns out to be fake or something and I don't know how to identify fakes so it's really nice being able to have people help out

Welcome to the forum! Please say Hello, to Finn and Jake.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

@Minervaa

In the interest of due diligence, you could always request close-up images from the seller.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ