grg1109

Here's one that's a bit different...any ideas?  Approx. 3/4" X 1/2"  Found in unnamed creek near King Ferry, NY... I think it's from the Upper Tully Limestone

Thanks

Greg

swirl 1.jpg

swirl.jpg

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Gives me a rugose coral vibe.

I did find a rugose on this same rock.  Your ID gave me an idea.  So I went to wash it and a lot of rock "disintegrated" leaving me these extra photos.  The blue lines indicate where the "fossil" travels through the rock to the other side.

swirl edge opposite_LI.jpg

swirl side_LI.jpg

As I'm seeing septae, I am more convinced you found a nice, long coral. They could attain some eye-popping proportions. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

46 minutes ago, Kane said:

I am more convinced you found a nice, long coral

Does this go by another name?

Thanks

Greg

Sorry, I am not as knowledgeable on Devonian rugose coral despite my running into them (very) frequently, as my focus is on trilobites. In determining coral species, sometimes that takes acetate peels.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

9 hours ago, grg1109 said:

Does this go by another name?

Horn coral.

They are adapted primarily to soft bottom conditions. The bending and twisting is a result of slight displacement and their response to it.

Aren't the septae rather large or am I looking at the wrong thing...I'm thinking the septae are the brown and white things.  Oh wait...on the bottom of the photo...do they look a whiteish color, while on the top darker?

Thanks

Greg

5 minutes ago, grg1109 said:

Aren't the septae rather large or am I looking at the wrong thing...I'm thinking the septae are the brown and white things.

Thanks

Greg

Just the white. The brown is the vacant living space.