Trilobites And Others

palaeopix

Here is a sample of some of the specimens from my personal collection.

Top row left to right: Eldredgia venustus, Albertella helena, Triarthrus spinosus, Gabriellus sp and Leonaspis sp.

Bottom row left to right: an Eocene insect from the Family Cercopidae and Gingko dissecta.

post-2629-12623799012746_thumb.jpgpost-2629-12623798895578_thumb.jpgpost-2629-12623798788914_thumb.jpgpost-2629-1262379867775_thumb.jpgpost-2629-12623798574762_thumb.jpgpost-2629-12623798471501_thumb.jpgpost-2629-12623798307802_thumb.jpg

Edited by palaeopix

Gorgeous! I can only imagine what it's like to hold something like those any time I want to :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Paleopix, nice bugs! Thanks for sharing with us! Nice dissecta also. Is the Ginkgo one of your local BC finds? Is that the only Ginkgo species you've found? I have seen a number of bilobas recently from Canada for sale on ebay. Welcome! Regards, Chris

Paleopix, nice bugs! Thanks for sharing with us! Nice dissecta also. Is the Ginkgo one of your local BC finds? Is that the only Ginkgo species you've found? I have seen a number of bilobas recently from Canada for sale on ebay. Welcome! Regards, Chris

Thanks Chris.

Yes the G. dissecta is local. It came from the Allenby Formation which is exposed throughout the Similkameen valley. I have another nearly complete G. dissecta that I collected from the McAbee fossil beds which are located near Cache Creek (British Columbia). I also have a partial specimen (it is missing its lower half) of G. biloba from the Allenby Formation that is exposed near Princeton (British Columbia). You might be interested to known that flowers are also found in the Allenby Formation.

Edited by palaeopix

palaeopix.....The insect floats my boat... is that displaying natural colour pigmentation?..... id like to view that with a hand lens....very nice indeed.... thanks for sharing....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Personally the spinosus has got me salivating... :wub:

Very cool!

Be true to the reality you create.

Nice trilobites! Thanks for sharing them with us!

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

:) Thanks to everyone for all the great comments and greetings. I wish I had the time to respond to each of you personally.:(

palaeopix.....The insect floats my boat... is that displaying natural colour pigmentation?..... id like to view that with a hand lens....very nice indeed.... thanks for sharing....

I suspect that this is not preservation of natural colour since the counterpart of this specimen lacks colour. This is the case with all of the insects collected from this buff coloured volcanic deposit. In fact the trend also may be seen in some leaf impressions as well.

The colors may not be true on that insect, but the pattern probably is.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The colors may not be true on that insect, but the pattern probably is.

True enough!

Having looked at the specimen again the veination and dark shading (patches and along edges of wings) in the wings are representations of original patterns and colouration. That being said I think that the reddish rust colour is not.

Edited by palaeopix

Well, I had a look through my collection and found this little guy (or girl). It's another Eocene frog hopper (Family Cercopidae). This one comes from the McAbee fossil beds near Cache creek, British Columbia. This one definitely shows the original pigmentation patterns on the wings. Also check out the mouth parts.

post-2629-12624782554942_thumb.jpg

Edited by palaeopix

The McAbee stuff is awe-some! The mouthparts are so well preserved, it looks like a recent froghopper :wub:

The McAbee stuff is awe-some! The mouthparts are so well preserved, it looks like a recent froghopper :wub:

Yes many of the insects preserved at McAbee and in the Allenby Formation, in general, have modern day counterparts though the modern fauna (and flora) tend to be from warmer and moister climates. This fact along with leaf morphology provide an insight into the nature of the climate of British Columbia during the Eocene.

Personally the spinosus has got me salivating... :wub:

Very cool!

Oh me too!!! That is a great one! The others are great as well! :wub:

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

''Well, I had a look through my collection and found this little guy (or girl). It's another Eocene frog hopper (Family Cercopidae). This one comes from the McAbee fossil beds near Cache creek, British Columbia. This one definitely shows the original pigmentation patterns on the wings. Also check out the mouth parts.''

Simply Stunning......thanks for sharing that......

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)