fossilsonwheels

I am fairly comfortable with the STH micros as far as identification goes but I found a few things that I need some help with. 

First up is one that I am 90% sure on the ID but I want to be sure. I believe I found a couple of Raja teeth. The first one I found looks to be complete and tiny, a little over 1mm. I know skate teeth are somewhat uncommon in this fauna and this would be my first one. 

6D76B149-2890-4E75-9706-667E9D2EC49E.jpeg

5F4A4A74-6265-450A-A9A4-792A538012C2.jpeg

C768B6A4-3335-490F-AEFB-E09488B9190D.jpeg

Are these posterior teeth from a Lamniformes shark of some sort ?? That’s my best guess. 

7AB86ED7-8EA9-4BC9-B83A-070942A28ED6.jpeg

0D4F4525-3D19-4D75-81D4-8181351AF50F.jpeg

One of the stranger looking teeth I found. I believe this is a Heterodontus tooth but I’ve not personally seen one quite like this. Could it be transitional between anterior and lateral ? Or I am way off base with Heterodontus? 

AE898B74-5C00-444E-A865-6DEB6DF3221C.jpeg

88F98AFB-BF03-451C-962B-F94EE8632CC7.jpeg

D8A9324A-3D01-411F-AAE3-E22C0FA1606B.jpeg

5 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Mustelus teeth ?? 

B8F7E292-C2C9-4B81-B1C2-7FF0B767B455.jpeg

I agree with mustelus. Nice looking oking teeth. 

• I found this Informative 1

Hi Kurt,

Yes, that first tooth is a Raja.  Those teeth have never been named to species and it's possible it could belong to another skate genus.  Skate teeth are uncommon-rare even when you fine-screen for tiny teeth because the animals frequent deeper water.

The second tooth is an Alopias.

Yes, that third tooth is a Heterodontus.  I have a tooth like that too.  I think it is from a transitional file as the shark was entering adulthood but I'm not sure.

Yes, those are posterior teeth.  I think the bigger one is from C. hastalis.  The other one might be one as well.  It's hard to tell with posteriors as they are all reduced to a more simple morphology..

I agree with Hokietech96 on the last two - Mustelus..

Jess 

• I found this Informative 2

15 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Hi Kurt,

Yes, that first tooth is a Raja.  Those teeth have never been named to species and it's possible it could belong to another skate genus.  Skate teeth are uncommon-rare even when you fine-screen for tiny teeth because the animals frequent deeper water.

The second tooth is an Alopias.

Yes, that third tooth is a Heterodontus.  I have a tooth like that too.  I think it is from a transitional file as the shark was entering adulthood but I'm not sure.

Yes, those are posterior teeth.  I think the bigger one is from C. hastalis.  The other one might be one as well.  It's hard to tell with posteriors as they are all reduced to a more simple morphology..

I agree with Hokietech96 on the last two - Mustelus..

Jess 

Hi Jess

Your explanation of the Heterodontus tooth makes sense because I could not find a match with adult teeth as I searched. I have anterolateral teeth but none have that many cusps. It really threw me though I was pretty sure it was a Bullhead tooth.

I found two skate teeth in the last batch of matrix that Jesse sent me. I had not found any prior to that so i am pretty stoked to knock that off the list.

Thank you for the input as always my friend !

Kurt

31 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

I agree with mustelus. Nice looking oking teeth. 

They are nice looking teeth. I found a variety of colors. They are so small and easy to miss but STH matrix can be loaded with them ! Thank you

10 hours ago, siteseer said:

Jess 

From Welton 1993:

lower left dental series of a modern horn shark Heterodontus franciscanus:

Heterodontus.thumb.jpg.b1d926ce084d50002addb2df3e6084bc.jpg

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

5 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

From Welton 1993:

lower left dental series of a modern horn shark Heterodontus franciscanus:

Heterodontus.thumb.jpg.b1d926ce084d50002addb2df3e6084bc.jpg

Marco Sr.

Hi Marco Sr

Thank you for the diagram. Very helpful and pretty cool to see how the teeth progress. Hope you are well !! 

Kurt