Cretaceous Orectolobiformes from Texas

fossilsonwheels

Awhile back we had the great fortune to do a trade with our friend @Captcrunch227. Beau has been a friend since we joined and among the shark goodies he sent us was a bag of micro matrix from Eagle Ford, Post Oak Creek if memory serves.

I found 4 teeth that appeared to be Orectolobiformes. Cretaceous Texas seems to have been environment well suited to Carpet Sharks. Cantioscyllium, Plicatoscyllium, Nebrius, and Ginglymostoma are all listed on Elasmo though those examples are from the Kemp Clay. I found two distinct tooth types but I am not 100% sure my ID’s are accurate. I had the chance to get pictures of the tiny teeth so hopefully I can get some help with these. 

I think the first two are Cantioscyllium  teeth. They are larger than the other two. These are both around 4mm or so. I researched this quite a bit and that was the best fit but I could definitely be wrong. 

FF4AA295-2AA5-44A6-B801-5E68022B1DC2.jpeg

FBB20A83-8C5E-42BB-95D1-FF89EB0AB182.jpeg

74B7A708-51BA-44DA-BD8A-EE484A4A9B98.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

As I went do this post I realized the pictures on the second teeth aren’t that great. I can try to get better ones. These are smaller, around 2mm. Under the scope these seemed to best fit Plicatoscyllium but again I could off base. 

43ED600E-931B-4BE3-A53F-7CA8566261C4.jpeg

2D3F9899-5397-4B8F-89E8-112F70C95A11.jpeg

10 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I think the first two are Cantioscyllium  teeth.

Yup. C. decipiens I believe. I'm not sure about the other two. If you don't have it already, I recommend "The Collector's Guide to Fossil Sharks and Rays from the Cretaceous of Texas" by Bruce Welton and Roger Farish. 

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

This one looks like Ischyrhiza. Different angles would be helpful to confirm that ID.

EF9D0169-C2D5-49A6-AA4D-73300DC374D6.jpeg

That tooth is the on the left side of the other two photos. Those are probably the best two angles I can provide. I can see where where you are coming from based on this one angle.

Do Ischyrhiza teeth have the lateral cusps as seen in the first photograph ? I can not recall seeing them on any of my examples and I found plenty in this matrix plus others. I checked Elasmo and did not see any cusps plus the roots on the Ischyrhiza teeth looked different.  My preference is always to get the ID right rather than have my opinion be right so I am open minded.

Edited by fossilsonwheels
added additional information

1 hour ago, fossilsonwheels said:

That tooth is the on the left side of the other two photos. Those are probably the best two angles I can provide. I can see where where you are coming from based on this one angle.

Do Ischyrhiza teeth have the lateral cusps as seen in the first photograph ? I can not recall seeing them on any of my examples and I found plenty in this matrix plus others. I checked Elasmo and did not see any cusps plus the roots on the Ischyrhiza teeth looked different.  My preference is always to get the ID right rather than have my opinion be right so I am open minded.

I see now. Definitely not Ischyrhiza.