Weird Iron Nodule

Rjgogo

So I live near the Mazon creek and have found many fossils in my yard but this one has be puzzled.  Most if not all of the iron nodules I have found have been smooth and oval or rounded in shape,  This one has bumps all over it similar to some species of tree branches.  it is long and round and heavy for it's size and the typical color of most of the iron nodules I have found and opened.  But I have never seen a long one like this.  Hopefully I got the size right on the photos, and I do have much higher resolution photos.  Found lots of grass and ferns and a large piece of coral as well in the past.  Along with lots of coal.  

The area where is live was once a very large strip mine area so the spoils were piled all over and if you dig you will find something almost every time.  Edit to add about 6" long and 2" in diameter.  

IMG_3591.jpg  IMG_3588.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the Forum. :)

This looks like it could be a Stigmaria - a root from a lycopod tree. 

• I found this Informative 7

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum. :)

This looks like it could be a Stigmaria - a root from a lycopod tree. 

Thanks,  It does look like part of a root,  it is less bumpy on the other side and about the right size.  Pretty cool,.  

I agree with Fossildude.

This is an impression (negative) with ab it more detail from PA. Mine's probably a different species. The nubs on yours and the ovals on mine are where the rootlets attached. The lines radiating out at right angles on mine are the rootlets.

• I found this Informative 1

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

6 hours ago, Rjgogo said:

It does look like part of a root,

It wouldn't be expect to look like a root. The morphology and function are quite different in multiple ways.