Unidentifiable Fossil

Mehmet

My boys and I went fossil hunting in Big Brook New Jersey and can’t identify this one we found. It looks like a worm inside a Belemnite fragment but was told Belemnite fragments are hollow. 

0AC3599F-E4F2-4B22-B68C-DDF7D3D29F08.jpeg

Belemnites are hollow that one w d pointed at rhe other and uften have a.center line.  The piece you shows looks like a broken piece. I would like to see the ends

Hi, 

The phragmocone of belemnites are hollow, the rostrum is massive. We need better pictures to confirm if your piece is a belemnite

Natalie 

• I found this Informative 2

its the syphon collapsed when the original fossil was disolved by dame nature and replace by a new mineralisation ,a internal mold with the original syphon.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

It looks like a boring organism, possibly some type of worm, made a burrow through the rostrum that later filled with sediment.

7 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

It looks like a boring organism, possibly some type of worm, made a burrow through the rostrum that later filled with sediment.

I agree, assuming it's a piece of belemnite (which it does look like). Many belemnites have borings, usually post mortem - this looks a nice one though!

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Yea they do. Siboglinid annelids, bone borers. :headscratch:

Modern Polydora is a very common find in shells and seaside rocks. Being sediment filled, Mehmet's is of course a fossil one. 

Modern Polydora in a Megateuthis:

IMG_2792.thumb.jpg.f7e5dab04cb5d999060be1d163f5edc7.jpg

Edited by TqB
  • I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

Looks like it's been split, leaving a half round and exposing the center. A common occurrence for the structure. 

So if I am reading everything correctly- everyone thinks it’s a split Belemnite fossil that had a worm bore into it then sediment filled in it fossilizing the worm in the Belemnite fossil? 

1 hour ago, Mehmet said:

So if I am reading everything correctly- everyone thinks it’s a split Belemnite fossil that had a worm bore into it then sediment filled in it fossilizing the worm in the Belemnite fossil? 

Although this is possible, it is by no means obvious that the creature which bore into it was preserved. It is only likely that it was a worm. A body fossil would need to be found in the bore hole to confirm it.

It just occurred to me that we haven't pointed out that the boring is considered an ichnofossil  (trace fossil) in its own right. I can't say the ichno-species but one must be  assignable.