HemiHunter

NJ Cretaceous Creek 10/11 -- First Timer Finds!!

HemiHunter

Early on, I found what I think could be a vertebra, but I am not sure so I welcome any opinions.

20201016_210628.jpg

20201016_210646.jpg

HemiHunter

20201016_210711.jpg

HemiHunter

So, all in all, I think we did really well for our first try at a new collecting location. Thanks again to our friends on the forum! I hope you enjoyed the pix!

hokietech96

Great finds!  Glad you where able to have great experience!  Hunting in NJ is so much fun. 

The Jersey Devil

Nice haul for your first time!

Yes, that’s a partial Chondrichthyan vert.

You also found a Hybodont tooth that’s in your broken tooth pile. I can’t really tell what the stuff in the lower left is from that picture.

Tidgy's Dad

Lovely stuff.

You had a pretty good day.:)

Trevor
2 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Nice haul for your first time!

Yes, that’s a partial Chondrichthyan vert.

You also found a Hybodont tooth that’s in your broken tooth pile. I can’t really tell what the stuff in the lower left is from that picture.

@HemiHunter

For context, Hybodont teeth are uncommon. The tooth @The Jersey Devil devil is referring to is on the leftmost side of the left broken tooth pile.

butchndad

Big Brook Preserve rules are that you are only allowed to keep 6 artifacts.  Please send the rest to me and i will return them for you.  I will tell them you're from out of state and didn't know the rules and see if i can get the arrest warrant quashed.  Send them quickly and no need to thank me. 

Trevor
57 minutes ago, butchndad said:

Big Brook Preserve rules are that you are only allowed to keep 6 artifacts.  Please send the rest to me and i will return them for you.  I will tell them you're from out of state and didn't know the rules and see if i can get the arrest warrant quashed.  Send them quickly and no need to thank me. 

@HemiHunter didn't collect at Big Brook, hence this rule is null in this context.

Also, you posted this post

where you clearly have more than 6 teeth and specify that you found these teeth at Big Brook. I don't think there has ever truly been a problem with rangers enforcing the 6 teeth rule, it is more of a courtesy thing.

butchndad
28 minutes ago, Trevor said:

@HemiHunter didn't collect at Big Brook, hence this rule is null in this context.

Also, you posted this post

where you clearly have more than 6 teeth and specify that you found these teeth at Big Brook. I don't think there has ever truly been a problem with rangers enforcing the 6 teeth rule, it is more of a courtesy thing.

Hoisted by my own petard!  It's the old "when you assume" joke from The Odd Couple.  Was it Ram? Because i like what @HemiHunter found a whole lot better than what i found today in Big Brook

Trevor
1 hour ago, butchndad said:

Hoisted by my own petard!  It's the old "when you assume" joke from The Odd Couple.  Was it Ram? Because i like what @HemiHunter found a whole lot better than what i found today in Big Brook

You're good, no worries. Yes, twas' Ram.

HemiHunter
2 hours ago, butchndad said:

Please send the rest to me and i will return them for you.

Ha ha! Good one @butchndad! But I think you have plenty of NJ teeth of your own. : )  Now, maybe if you want a few Eocene sand tigers from down here, or maybe a little Miocene hemipristis or two, I could probably spare some of those. Just send me a self addressed stamped envelope with a map of your best Big Brook collecting spots and I'll get those teeth right out to you....

butchndad
13 minutes ago, HemiHunter said:

Ha ha! Good one @butchndad! But I think you have plenty of NJ teeth of your own. : )  Now, maybe if you want a few Eocene sand tigers from down here, or maybe a little Miocene hemipristis or two, I could probably spare some of those. Just send me a self addressed stamped envelope with a map of your best Big Brook collecting spots and I'll get those teeth right out to you....

next time you come up to NJ let me know and i'd be happy to steer you in the right direction at Big Brook and perhaps meet up there.  

jonnyquest

Nice fossil finds.  Out of my entire collection of probably 1500 N.J. Cretaceous sharkteeth I have only two hybodont species.  Very uncommon to find. So get it out of the junk pile. :-)

Clint08

Enjoyed the trip report and the pics! Looks like a nice haul!

Jeffrey P

Congratulations. The little hybodont shark was by far your best find of the day. Looks like you have many reasons to return.

erose

Great report! Great fossils.