fossilsonwheels

I have learned so much and enjoy the Squaliformes thread so much, that i wanted to get a start on the next one. I am very curious about the Orectolobiformes fossils that are lurking in the collections of TFF members. Carpet Sharks are not only represented by teeth but there are also opportunities for far more complete specimens, especially from the Cretaceous of Lebanon. The goal of this thread is show off our fossils but also exchange information, learn and in general just appreciate some of the sharks less frequently seen on TFF.

Orectolobiformes fossils date back as far as the Early Jurassic of Europe. Early genera include Folipistrix, Annea, Pseudospinax, Ornatoscyllium, and Palaeobrachaelurus. There is a pretty good amount of diversity during the Cretaceous, including North America. I have had good luck finding Orectolobiformes teeth by searching micro matrix from Texas. Several genera also come out of Lebanon as complete fossils. There are some great Cenozoic locations that produce multiple genera like Morocco, the Nanjemoy formation, the Tallahatta formation, and Lee Creek. I am sure others can provide further insights into good locations for Carpet Shark fossils.

The modern Orectolobiformes are a fairly diverse group of sharks and they have some cool adaptations. There are 7 extant families, 13 genera and 46 species. Some members of this order are really beautiful with interesting colors and patterns. The largest fish in the sea is a Carpet Shark, of course the Whale Shark. It is the only only filter feeder in the order. Nurse Sharks use chemosensory organs to find their prey. Wobbegongs use stealth and excellent camouflage to avoid predators and be very effective hunters. Perhaps the coolest adaptation in this order and possibly the coolest shark adaptation anywhere comes from the ability of Bamboo Sharks to walk. Many Bambbo Sharks can use their pectoral find to walk along the ocean floor and a few can walk over land. The Epaulette Sharks will walk from tide pool to tide pool when they have to. They also have the remarkable ability to turn off certain neural functions in order to deal with hypoxia, a result of their extremely shallow water habitats. They can go a full air with no oxygen with no permanent damage.

Anyway, on to the fossils....

• I found this Informative 4

Our earliest Orectolobiformes fossils are Jurassic and come from the UK. They were identified as Cretorectolobus but I think that is incorrect. I researched this quite a bit and compared mine to the publications on Ringstead Bay teeth. I believe the correct ID to be Pseudospinax so that’s what I’m going with for now. 

Pseudospinax sp

Jurassic

Kimmeridge Clay 

Ringstead Bay

Weymouth England 

133BE49C-4524-4117-AE52-0938E00F1374.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Yes, we've got nice carpet sharks from the Cretaceous of Texas. I've found a few, all Cantioscyllium decipiens, but only have a picture of one (orange):

IMG_5053.thumb.jpg.cb81b3e669b687c229a210b793fa0e81.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

On 10/22/2020 at 7:01 PM, ThePhysicist said:

Yes, we've got nice carpet sharks from the Cretaceous of Texas. I've found a few, all Cantioscyllium decipiens, but only have a picture of one (orange):

IMG_5053.thumb.jpg.cb81b3e669b687c229a210b793fa0e81.jpg

Very nice example !! The Cretaceous of Texas is a great way to add Carpet Sharks to a collection. Pretty good diversity. I’ve found a couple of Cantioscyllium plus a couple Chiloscyllium and two that could be Plicatoscyllium. Thanks for adding to the thread ! 

• I found this Informative 1

Chiloscyllium greeni

Cretaceous

Atco Formation 

Texas

Speaking of Texas Carpet Sharks, here are a couple of Bamboo Shark teeth. Important from an educational standpoint. Kids love learning about the walking sharks

3553C646-AEE2-413B-A89C-132C8C853D20.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Cantioscyllium decipens

Cretaceous 

Eagle Ford 

Post Oak Creek

Texas

We got some matrix in a trade with our friend @Captcrunch227 and found a couple of Cantioscyllium teeth. 

467916F4-5B63-4631-ACB1-A6AD9F72FDBA.jpeg

Chiloscyllium sp

Cretaceous

Mesaverde Formation 

Colorado

A personal favorite, found in a micro search. I left it attached to the matrix. I think it’s kind of cool looking. Not sure of the species but definitely a Bamboo Shark tooth. 

98709440-FA2E-4E08-9D8E-4B19E2995CB6.jpeg

On 10/22/2020 at 7:46 PM, fossilsonwheels said:

Cantioscyllium decipens

Cretaceous 

Eagle Ford 

Post Oak Creek

Texas

We got some matrix in a trade with our friend @Captcrunch227 and found a couple of Cantioscyllium teeth. 

467916F4-5B63-4631-ACB1-A6AD9F72FDBA.jpeg

Ah that’s where I had put them! :ighappy:

For real though man I’m glad you found something useful in there. 

21 hours ago, Captcrunch227 said:

Ah that’s where I had put them! :ighappy:

For real though man I’m glad you found something useful in there. 

We found a couple that I think are Plicatoscyllium, quite a few Sawfish fossils, some tiny Lamniformes teeth, even a couple of ray teeth. It was not the most fossiliferous matrix but the carpet shark teeth were what I wanted so yeah quite useful !

Cederstroemia sp

Cretaceous

Unknown formation 

Near Moscow 

Russia

I was not 100% sure on the ID but did some research and I think it’s accurate. 

D57B5116-21FC-4899-ACB0-82A2B8A013BD.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Love these sharks, can't wait to see someone with a shark from Lebanon! I might be getting one soon and if I do I'll be sure to share!

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

On 10/28/2020 at 8:52 AM, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

Love these sharks, can't wait to see someone with a shark from Lebanon! I might be getting one soon and if I do I'll be sure to share!

I’ve got a Lebanese shark that could be Orectolobiformes though I believe it is not. I think it’s a Catshark so I didn’t post it here. I am hoping somebody posts one. They are such cool fossils. 

Chiloscyllium sp

Eocene

Agnaz Morocco

This is the only Cenozoic Chiloscyllium that I have been able to find. A search on fossilworks will show nothing beyond Eocene as far as publications go with this genus. Most of the Eocene ones come from North Africa. That’s a fair sized gap in the record for an extant genus. 

I am guessing there is some locations out there that have Bamboo Shark teeth younger than Eocene but I sure haven’t been able to find any. Did they perhaps go deep water during the age of Mega Sharks ? Are they simply hiding in some formation that hasn’t been fully explored ? Does anybody have knowledge or theories on this ? 

Anyway, here it is 

3DE16644-3CB5-4DDA-AEBE-94326C7B109C.jpeg

Wobbegongs are cool sharks and perfectly adapted to their environment. The teeth from this genus seem to have a limited distribution in the fossil record. We can thank @Troodon for this pair of awesome teeth. 

Orectolobus ziegenhinei

Eocene

Tallahatta Formation 

Alabama

8C46048F-91BF-4323-A656-9FC9DCAF34FA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Ginglymostoma sp

Eocene

Muddy Creek

Nanjemoy Formation 

Virginia 

Not sure of the species on this Nurse Shark tooth. 

8A366E9D-9697-4A15-91BB-7A63DBA146D7.jpeg

This pair of Nurse Shark teeth came from @digit . This was a cool addition to the collection that came from a cool guy ! 

Ginglymostoma sp

Pliocene

Cookiecutter Creek

Tamiami Formation 

Florida 

DB3969C2-4D7F-478D-B6EF-A8143BF8DFD5.jpeg

4 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Ginglymostoma sp

Eocene

Muddy Creek

Nanjemoy Formation 

Virginia 

@MarcoSr would be our local expert on this formation especially since he's well explored the micros. ;)

May have to send you some Ginglymostoma sp. teeth from my own Gainesville creek at the new house. Turns out the FLMNH doesn't actually have any of these in the collection as not many folks pick through the micro-matrix when hunting Gainesville creeks. Once I've made sure the museum has adequate specimens I'll make a note to see that some find their way into your teaching collection. The colors of the teeth in Gainesville are nicer as they are not phosphatic black. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

11 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Ginglymostoma sp

Eocene

Muddy Creek

Nanjemoy Formation 

Virginia 

6 hours ago, digit said:

@MarcoSr would be our local expert on this formation especially since he's well explored the micros. ;)

-Ken

Looks like Ginglymostoma maroccanum.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

3 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Looks like Ginglymostoma maroccanum.

Marco Sr.

Thank you @MarcoSr. I couldn’t get it past Ginglymostoma. 

3 hours ago, digit said:

This forum is indeed lucky to have so many bases covered with such depth. :thumbsu:

Cheers.

-Ken

I agree Ken :) 

10 hours ago, digit said:

May have to send you some Ginglymostoma sp. teeth from my own Gainesville creek at the new house. Turns out the FLMNH doesn't actually have any of these in the collection as not many folks pick through the micro-matrix when hunting Gainesville creeks. Once I've made sure the museum has adequate specimens I'll make a note to see that some find their way into your teaching collection. The colors of the teeth in Gainesville are nicer as they are not phosphatic black. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Hi Ken 

You can feel free to add to the teaching collection anytime you like lol I am starting to work on diversifying the locations of our Carpet Sharks so any Florida locations would be a welcome addition 

Kurt