Lance Fm mystery bone

jpc

Hi folks...

Over the summer...

speaking of summer, it is a chilly 12 degrees out this morning (minus 10 C)

Over the summer, I did squeeze in a few field trips.  I explored a new Lance Fm bone bed and found this bone that I cannot identify. 

5f95a40a8ec2f_Lancemysterybone3.jpg.1c9fd889195c0c18d094a0a9a94aaf37.jpg 

I think the two pieces fit together but I have not completed the prep yet on the smaller piece.  

Here are pix of the t-shaped bone.  It is symmetrical, so it comes from the midline of some Cretaceous critter.  

5f95a48103607_Lancemysterybone2.jpg.1b4a92be3a31353a2cec1883eed76462.jpg

This view (below) shows that the edge of the cross-piece of the T looks like sutures, so it was connected there to some other bone.  I have compared it to turtle shells and hadrosaur skulls...and I get nothing.

5f95a47e60f59_Lancemysterybone1.jpg.764fb7f0da0303548a45c2e3a00ca66f.jpg

Can anyone help ID htthis thing?  

I hope to share some more pix of my summer's finds soon.  But I need to finish some prep projects first.

• I found this Informative 3

That looks very symmetrical. Very weird. It seems like some type of skull bone. But the symmetry places it in the mid line.

I'm stumped.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

A real odd bone, clueless but had to throw out a lifeline.  Pete said its an interclavical, most likely from a Champsosaur.  He referenced Erickson's publication where I obtained the illustration I attached 

20201025_131656.thumb.jpg.85137067c5e0e1a06f471fe00d7c0a35.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Interclavicle!  That's it!  I knew I had seen this before... one of my volunteers just prepped an ichthoysaur and it had a t-shaped interclavicle. 

Thanks.  And thanks, troodon, for asking Pete.  I was going to ask him if you guys all got stumped.  

Champsosaur... I'll go with that.  I have very few non-vertebral champsosaur pieces.  

I found my copy of Erickson's paper.. yup, champsosaur interclavicle.  

Woo hoo

Thanks again, troodon (and Pete). 

and it is in much better shape than the one in the paper.  I'm OK with that.  This is a multispecies bone bed.  Other things I uncovered in my one afternoon are a turtle plastron, some unidentifiable chunks, and a very nice mammal jaw.  As much as I would love to find the rest of the champsosaur, I have not much hope for it.  But other goodies will be found.  

A drool-worthy find to say the least. Makes me miss my ACoE internship days when I got to play in such sites...never found anything that magnificent myself though!