Dromaeosaurus skull and claw

Jacobloven

Hi everyone! 

Many of you have probably already seen this piece. The seller says it’s probably a Troodonor or Dromaeosaur and that it’s from an old 80’s collection.

I’m interested, what is your opinion on it’s state, the species and restoration? Also, why would they keep the surrounding matrix on the skull?

57DE557C-C36F-4747-BA0F-54751E0BEEAB.jpeg

86EFEAA2-CC92-427C-941A-DB05FFF96268.jpeg

A6BE0341-EED2-4BFC-BADE-96F3A1F37160.jpeg

87B6A4E1-499B-40B4-A7BC-378220EBEAD6.jpeg

2093E9A3-CD8E-49AC-8036-08071718BB60.jpeg

AF1CDD34-0673-41EC-BF00-16C61B4D583C.jpeg

I highly doubt that's from an old collection. Very dubious. I wouldn't touch it.

But among the many fakes from China, this seems to be a real skull imo. Very rare to see something like this. Actually looks like an incredible specimen.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Photos not the best to make a call but the teeth in the last photo look placed and dont look like Troodontid.  I see some possible glue at the bottom of the claws wonder if they were placed.   With all the Chinese fakes around I would not touch it without first handling and examining it.  I also would want a more specific locality, age and formation to try to determine what it is if real.

Thank you. I agree it’s highly problematic without proof that it’s from an old collection. Also, considering the pricetag it’s a tough call if you can’t examine it in person.

Edited by Jacobloven