White River Formation Help

jamhill

These are from Nebraska. Since it’s not oreodont, I’m lost. Do people find coprolite in this formation? 

0D02FFAA-CBC9-46FB-B69B-25679CC08FEF.jpeg

2A01EDFD-6784-463D-8411-D18E5ED091FA.jpeg

3CE37199-5A14-4A15-9DDE-C2336792D737.jpeg

610B3253-3A60-4051-AD14-30BF6580D001.jpeg

C84B8F4D-3575-466C-A2A5-33B00A3F6C44.jpeg

0BB4A0BC-E927-411D-A522-5C146BC8644C.jpeg

F2C5D4CC-E390-46E0-9D9C-6E5491223494.jpeg

24D73CF3-252A-4677-8BC4-263017447A57.jpeg

7D5C361D-B4E1-4527-B4E1-C19269C96727.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

The teeth I'm unsure of but this topic may help with the coprolite,

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

@jpc @siteseer @Harry Pristis

I've found a number of coprolites in the white river. The first item could be one but it's hard to tell. Some of the carnivore coprolites I've found have small pieces of bone included, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm seeing in the first piece. 

The second group canine seems to be the right size for Hesperocyon and the small piece of jaw may belong to one as well, but I'm not certain as sometimes the small herbivores have similar teeth. Not confident on the molar like tooth either but it could be oreodont.

The last jaw piece is likely Mesohippus.

2 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

@jpc @siteseer @Harry Pristis

I've found a number of coprolites in the white river. The first item could be one but it's hard to tell. Some of the carnivore coprolites I've found have small pieces of bone included, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm seeing in the first piece. 

The second group canine seems to be the right size for Hesperocyon and the small piece of jaw may belong to one as well, but I'm not certain as sometimes the small herbivores have similar teeth. Not confident on the molar like tooth either but it could be oreodont.

The last jaw piece is likely Mesohippus.

I'm not sure on a couple of those teeth but that last one is definitely a Mesohippus lower molar.  Larry might be able to help.  @fossillarry

For the three teeth I would also say Hesperocyon, tried to take a foto of mine, but the molars are not well preserved (thats why I could afford it).

Here is a good reference though:

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Phylogeny-of-the-Caninae-(Carnivora%2C-Canidae)-%3A-the-Tedford-Taylor/ccf35184fc827bbd463a12bf926ae3800caac8ae/figure/5

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks for the help everyone. After following the links and googling, I’m in complete agreement with Hesperocyon and Mesohippus. 

Yes, it is a bone fragment imbedded in the specimen PaleoNoel. That’s what made me think coprolite too. I’ve just never found any before, and it seems like a hard thing to identify. Now knowing that it’s not uncommon to find them in White River stuff, I feel pretty sure it is. 

The coprolite looks like a typical White River coprolite.  Yes, they are quite common.  In any given day in the White River, I always pick up a few poops.  I think the tooth IDs above are pretty good.  

The group of three teeth are almost certainly Hesperocyon. The triangular tooth is an upper M1. The lower teeth are  a lower canine and a lower p1 respectively. The little molar is definitely a Mesohippus lower m3.