Piece of coral or Chimaera tooth plate?

MarcoSr

I recently found this 9mm by 7mm specimen in matrix from the Eocene Nanjemoy Formatiion of Virginia.  I think it is a piece of a Chimaera tooth plate.  However, in collecting the Nanjemoy Formation in Virginia for over twenty years I have never found a Chimaera tooth plate or a fragment of one.  For that reason I don't want to rule out a coral fragment.  However, I haven't found a piece of coral in this formation before either.

5fa5aff77d914_Chimaera9mmX7mm1.jpg.643fa979dfe151ec63d67423f7f24592.jpg

5fa5aff92b2e5_Chimaera9mmX7mm2.jpg.9cfe1210ec628f79b56d58d5b93d05b5.jpg

For comparison, a Chimaera tooth plate (25mm by 16mm) from the Paleocene Aquia Formation of Maryland:

5fa5b0665f02c_Chimaera26oralview25mmby16mm.thumb.jpg.39c7448c1641a5308aec729f91658211.jpg

5fa5b0637fb1c_Chimaera26aboralview25mmby16mm.thumb.jpg.290e8e685b652e480e69f82ab4b60179.jpg

What do you think (especially the invertebrate/coral experts)?

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

This is unlike any chimera plate I have ever seen. My knee jerk on the first photos was bryo in nature, but the later photos have me stumped.

4 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Probably coral.

Probably coral. 

Oh! What the ' is that ?

You said it, I was thinking it! One of these days I’ll swing by for ethanol research and we shall commiserate!:heartylaugh:

I love a challenge. These photos are kicking my gluteus..

So:

Do you have a black light? It will help us photo desk jockeys. Are you willing/able to do streak and acid tests?

I just ordered some intralibrary stuff that might help with this differential.

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Got one to run up the pole. Coral filled pholad borings in a fossil tree fern trunk.

Hmmm...

you doing Friday ethanol research too?

:heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 1

17 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

you doing Friday ethanol research too?

Not my substance any more. It came close to taking everything I have. I'm lucky there was enough left to rewire, and I had a wonderful woman (just a good friend) to teach me to travel.

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

Not my substance any more. It came close to taking everything I have. I'm lucky there was enough left to rewire, and I had a wonderful woman (just a good friend) to teach me to travel.

Even better. I’m in the same boat and measure allotments in milliliters. Fossil hunting is the only step.

Is that a straight cut through the specimen?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Nothing there seems to indicate coral.

Corallites must have septa and are not visible.

Coenosteum must made by isolated trabeculae, costae, disepiments, costal pali or a combination of this elements and it is not.

To me that is not a coral.

• I found this Informative 3

Maybe something like echinoid scraping traces around entobian apertures?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

22 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Maybe something like echinoid scraping traces around entobian apertures?

Sounds like it could be one part of the puzzle. What do you suppose they're 'entobing' ?

Need cross section view if possible

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

2 hours ago, oyo said:

Nothing there seems to indicate coral.

Corallites must have septa and are not visible.

Coenosteum must made by isolated trabeculae, costae, disepiments, costal pali or a combination of this elements and it is not.

To me that is not a coral.

Thank you.  I have never found a piece of coral in the Eocene Nanjemoy Formation and I have made 200 trips to different sites in Virginia with that formation.  I didn't really think it was coral but I wanted to be sure.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

This is a cross section of a rat fish plate

5fa601e9eb58b_2017-03-1117.03-vert.thumb.jpg.bf14116b425e681f32d7af86c3a5a9d2.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

27 minutes ago, njfossilhunter said:

Need cross section view if possible

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Is that a straight cut through the specimen?

I took the below pictures trying to show the edge/cross section.  These new pictures were taken at night (different light) and with the specimen in white clay.  The colors and the specimen itself look totally different.  In these pictures the specimen looks like a piece of a fruit/seed.  The specimen is noticeably convex on one side and concave on the back surface.  We do find lots of lignitized fruit/seeds in the formation but they usually have a smooth or bumpy surface.  When I hold the specimen in my hand and look at it, it does not look like a lignitized fruit/seed or a modern nut contaminant.

5fa60befad361_Nut1.jpg.3ea3638b1e9e12d43eea2e68bbe01d53.jpg

5fa60bf21193f_Nut2.jpg.38f1868b30db8aa8acd841b048032a9a.jpg

4 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

I love a challenge. These photos are kicking my gluteus..

So:

Do you have a black light? It will help us photo desk jockeys. Are you willing/able to do streak and acid tests?

I just ordered some intralibrary stuff that might help with this differential.

Here are two black-light pictures of the same surface of the specimen.

5fa60bb360e4d_Chimaera9mmX7mm3.jpg.c350c38700875e22c738918fc1fafdef.jpg

5fa60bb60292f_Chimaera9mmX7mm4.jpg.b839aa91607433491aefe050a2a705d0.jpg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

I don’t think that’s ratfish.

Could it be a sponge for that formation? It vaguely reminds me of some Cliona I’ve seen.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Do you find any calcitic fossils in the sediment you pick through or is it all leached out? If there is no calcitic preservation I would think ratfish would be a good possibility.

19 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Do you find any calcitic fossils in the sediment you pick through or is it all leached out? If there is no calcitic preservation I would think ratfish would be a good possibility.

Eric

All of the calcitic shells have been leached out.  I only find occasional pyrite casts of shells.  When I sent matrix samples from this area to the USGS to positively date the formation, all of the calcitic nanofossils were leached out.  I find hundreds of bony fish vertebrae each trip but have not found a single otolith.  I have not found a single piece of coral.  So I do believe that the calcitic fossils have leached out and there isn't any calcitic preservation of fossils in the formation matrix that I have been collecting.

Marco Sr.

7 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

I don’t think that’s ratfish.

Could it be a sponge for that formation? It vaguely reminds me of some Cliona I’ve seen.

I have not found any sponges in the formation before.  I will look into that.

I have found around one hundred nice specimens and several hundred fragments of Chimaera tooth plates in the Paleocene Aquia Formation of Maryland.  Below are two of the Chimaera tooth plate fragments (23mm X 11mm and 16mm X 9mm) for comparison to my specimen:

5fa688640092e_ChimaeraAquiaFormation23mmX11mm.thumb.jpg.128cb038d390239a551db73d65ed5268.jpg

5fa68860dede1_ChimaeraAquiaFormation16mmX9mm.thumb.jpg.6a330b24b65addf65d9345acb36fd294.jpg

Marco Sr.

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Are we certain that this isn't an odd preservation of Palmoxylon ?

That is interesting.  When the plant researcher from the Smithsonian finally comes to my house (He has been coming out the next week or so for three months now) to pick up the fruit/seed and lignitized wood specimens that I collected from the Nanjemoy Formation in Virginia, I'll show the specimen to him.

There is lots of lignitized wood in the formation but I haven't ever found petrified wood in the formation.  The lignitized wood is always jet black or dark brown, soft, and crumbles apart if it gets too dry.  This specimen is not lignitized.

Marco Sr.