Isurus retroflexus tooth?

Hastalis

Hello, this tooth was found in Lučenec region, southern Slovakia. Age: Eggenburgian (Central Paratethys): about 20.8 – 18.3 mil years old. Scale is in cm. Although there is nothing left out of the root, the crown is still very nicely preserved. Comparing to its size, the crown is really broad and flat. Could this be the Isurus retroflexus tooth (maybe the broad form) ? Haven't been lucky with these so far. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.JPG

I think that it's possible that it belongs to I. retroflexus.  It appears to be an upper lateral tooth.  It looks too broad to be I. desori.  It seems too broad to belong to Carcharodon hastalis of that time.  The teeth of that species would be broader by the end of the Miocene though they are broad on the west coast of North America by the middle Miocene..

I would expect the tooth to be flatter but it's hard to say on that one without the root.

• I found this Informative 1

16 hours ago, siteseer said:

I think that it's possible that it belongs to I. retroflexus.  It appears to be an upper lateral tooth.  It looks too broad to be I. desori.  It seems too broad to belong to Carcharodon hastalis of that time.  The teeth of that species would be broader by the end of the Miocene though they are broad on the west coast of North America by the middle Miocene..

I would expect the tooth to be flatter but it's hard to say on that one without the root.

@siteseer 

Thank you very much for your insight. These were exactly my thoughts, that it could be an upper lateral (probably no.5 - Elasmo page – broad form, the cutting edge in the profile view is running approximately in the middle of the labial/lingual side of the crown). I have collected quite a lot of samples from the C. hastalis a I. desori (eggenburgian aged) and in the free time I'm still making documentation of every sample I have found. This one was absolutely different. Will post it when it will be finished. But you are absolutely right, with the absent root, this is probably as far as we can get for now. Will try to collect more reference material next year. Thank you again.