Eucalyptocrinites crassus Hall Waldron Shale Formation

Tidgy's Dad

Nice rhynchonellids! <_<

Fossildude19

What a great crinoid!  :drool:

Looking forward to seeing the updates! :)  :popcorn:

Ken K

Tidgy's Dad...Thanks 

Hey Tim, appreciate that. It is one of the better crinoid pieces I have collected from the Waldron.  Hard to get nice specimens with most of the stem and inner arms.  Will be well worth the time and effort spent preparing it.  Did a bit more work on the matrix and will have an update in a week or so.  Thanks for following along...Ken

Ken K

IMG_9250.thumb.jpg.abaa4d9f63bf75813cf25b1f24d580c3.jpg

Close up view of the crown.  Note the darker ring around the crown.  This is the final matrix work that smoothes the matrix and takes out all the tool marks.

will stevenson

great work so far^_^, the surrounding rhynchonellids really bring it to life as well, i think i speak for everyone here when i say i look forward to seeing the finished specimen :popcorn:

Ken K

Thanks Will and appreciate your comments here.  The associations of other taxa together in the Waldron is one of the big reasons I got hooked on this formation and its fossils.  I will keep you posted on the progress.  despite there being a great deal of work yet to go, this one is on top of the "pile" !   Ken

rew

That's a great crinoid. 

Ken K

Thanks rew.  As I continue to prepare this guy it's turning out quite nice and will have the longest stem of any specimen I have in my collection.  The matrix work, as expected,  is turning out to be the big time consumer here as almost all of it contained tool marks which was unavoidable in order to fully expose the specimen without it being down in a trench of sorts.

Ludwigia

Excellent work on that crinoid! I'm looking forward to seeing it once you've got the final abrading done.

Ken K

Thanks Ludwigia, working on it as we speak!

Sjfriend

Great work! Love the crinoid but like the trilobites more (ok, I'm partial since trilobites are my favorites lol)

Ken K

Sjfriend,

Yeah, I would have to say I'm more partial to the Trilobites as well.  However, my main interest of late is of course the Waldron, all taxa...Thanks for the note, appreciate it.  Ken

Jackson g

So far so good. I usually like trilobites more myself, but that is a heck of a crinoid! I wish the limestones here in my area had complete intact crinoids with all the parts. I'm happy to find a complete, non crushed/ compressed calyx! That Meristina maria prep is nice too, I like how you left it atop the shale.

Ken K

Thanks Jackson g, I like to prepare specimens, like the brachiopods, on their original matrix most of the time.  Firstly, there is usually additional taxa on the same piece, like the Meristina specimen here.  Secondly, it provides a nice means for display.  Now in a series of the same species I like to prepare and display as follow:

- Several really nice loose specimens displayed on acrylic bases.

- A growth series of loose specimens (ie the brachiopods and gastropods lend themselves for growth series) displayed on acrylic bases.

- Finally, choice matrix specimens

I'll target one particular species and go through my stock of unprepared material and pull out all the really good specimens and start in.  Doing that with the brach genus Meristina right now.  Constantly rearranging the displayed material in my cases...but that's fun stuff!

ClearLake
18 hours ago, Ken K said:

A growth series of loose specimens (ie the brachiopods and gastropods lend themselves for growth series) displayed on acrylic bases

Can't wait to see this!  I have always been a fan of growth series both in fossils and beach shells.  Your prep work is outstanding!  I looked at the pictures under your profile and your prep and display setup are drool worthy -haha, very nice!!  Looks like it would be a great "museum trip" in your area!

Ken K

Hey ClearLake,  

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm with you on the growth series, brings a whole different perspective to the various species.  Welcome to stop in and view the collection if you are ever up this way...once the dust settles of course!  

Fossildude19

Beautiful work! :drool: 

Ken K

Thanks much Tim

Ken K

During the initial stages of preparing the Calymene breviceps plate illustrated above, I came across the disarticulated remains of an exceedingly rare Waldron trilobite Acidaspis fimbriata, Hall.  I have actually collected several complete and nearly complete specimens of this trilobite. Although undoubtably an Odontopleuridae,  I'm not convinced as to its affinities with the genus Acidaspis (keep in mind I'm no expert on trilobite taxonomy!).  It is however, the trilobite that was described by hall.  In the photo this diminutive trilobite is identified by the fimbriate free cheek, thus the species name.  A few other parts are in the same vicinity.

On with the prep work...

IMG_9380.thumb.jpg.7cb800769acc25c7db403b432ebb6e3c.jpg