Is This An Egg?

peter_robertson

Hello! I am not a serious fossil collector, but I am always on the lookout for fossils when I am around exposed rock. 

I was hoping the members of this site could tell me if they thought this rock was a fossilized egg. I was struck by its shape and its texture. I photographed it in the Grand Canyon on the trail between Phantom Ranch and Cottonwood Campground.

It measures about 5 inches squared. Thank you for your thoughts!

possible-egg.jpg

I don't know where Cottonwood Campground is but f you are as far down as Phantom Ranch, the rocks are too old to have fossil eggs in them.  But concretions exist is rocks of all ages.  

Looks more geologic in origin to me. I could see how the appearance looks like an egg, but usually fossil eggs will have more apparent features, such as egg shells or ornamentation, which I do not see here.

I'll go along with jpc. I checked out the geology of the path you took and it looks like this sandstone is too old (Paleozoic/Cambrian) to have contained an amniotic egg, the first of which appeared much later in the geological record during the Carboniferous.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Looks like it could be a septarian nodule.

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.