Ludwigia

Thanks for the virtual tour!

Tidgy's Dad

Nice report, Candace.

I love these museum visit threads. :b_love1:

FossilNerd

Looks like a nice place. Thanks for taking us along! :) 

The young man standing next to the Apatosaurus thigh bone really puts into perspective just how big those animals were.

That donated Gomphothere bone made me laugh. There is a paragraph written on it! I guess you would be less likely to lose the information that way, but I can barely see the bone. Haha! 

thelivingdead531
2 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Looks like a nice place. Thanks for taking us along! :) 

The young man standing next to the Apatosaurus thigh bone really puts into perspective just how big those animals were.

That donated Gomphothere bone made me laugh. There is a paragraph written on it! I guess you would be less likely to lose the information that way, but I can barely see the bone. Haha! 

I love how they displayed an adult human femur next to the Apatosaurus femur to give people an idea of size. I figured my kid would make it more interesting lol.

I forgot to add the photo of the story behind the Gomphothere bone! If you look at the writing on the bone it says that it's a reptile because they thought it was a dinosaur bone. :DOH:

20201108_154155.thumb.jpg.d46fdb6a4ac54dbdd0b0b96e70cfdd88.jpg

jpc

It is a nice place.  Did you see my colleague Russell's paleo artwork?  

FossilNerd
1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

If you look at the writing on the bone it says that it's a reptile because they thought it was a dinosaur bone.

The poor donor was all kinds of confused... Thought it was a dinosaur, wrote reptile, was actually a gomphothere. :unsure:

2 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I love how they displayed an adult human femur next to the Apatosaurus femur to give people an idea of size. I figured my kid would make it more interesting lol.

I agree! :thumbsu:

Troodon

Thanks for the post looks like a nice place to visit

RJB

Neat stuff.  Thanks for the museum tour.

RB

thelivingdead531
11 hours ago, jpc said:

It is a nice place.  Did you see my colleague Russell's paleo artwork?  

I’m honestly not sure, we saw so many things. :unsure: Do you happen to have a photo of his artwork that is at the museum?

jpc

It is a display of maybe 20 black and white (mostly) illustrations of prehistoric beasts.  Russell Hawley is his name. He had a special exhibit a year or so ago, and when it was over they asked if they could just keep it up.  Here is his interpretation of the Eocene of Wyoming. 

5fa97501ccf48_RJHWasatch.thumb.jpg.6a2b2212d336c46153f593b5f4ce4f39.jpg 

thelivingdead531

Sadly, I did not see any art like that. A lot of the building seemed to be closed off, so if it’s on display then it could have been in a different part than where we were allowed to go (or I just happened to miss it entirely). I plan to go back a few more times before we leave Wyoming so I’ll keep an eye out for his art.

Clint08

Looks like a nice museum, thanks for the trip report! Love all the dinosaur exhibits.