Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Ludwigia

Thanks for the virtual tour!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Nice report, Candace.

I love these museum visit threads. :b_love1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilNerd

Looks like a nice place. Thanks for taking us along! :) 
 

The young man standing next to the Apatosaurus thigh bone really puts into perspective just how big those animals were.

 

That donated Gomphothere bone made me laugh. There is a paragraph written on it! I guess you would be less likely to lose the information that way, but I can barely see the bone. Haha! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thelivingdead531
2 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Looks like a nice place. Thanks for taking us along! :) 
 

The young man standing next to the Apatosaurus thigh bone really puts into perspective just how big those animals were.

 

That donated Gomphothere bone made me laugh. There is a paragraph written on it! I guess you would be less likely to lose the information that way, but I can barely see the bone. Haha! 

I love how they displayed an adult human femur next to the Apatosaurus femur to give people an idea of size. I figured my kid would make it more interesting lol.

 

I forgot to add the photo of the story behind the Gomphothere bone! If you look at the writing on the bone it says that it's a reptile because they thought it was a dinosaur bone. :DOH:

20201108_154155.thumb.jpg.d46fdb6a4ac54dbdd0b0b96e70cfdd88.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpc

It is a nice place.  Did you see my colleague Russell's paleo artwork?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilNerd
1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

If you look at the writing on the bone it says that it's a reptile because they thought it was a dinosaur bone.

The poor donor was all kinds of confused... Thought it was a dinosaur, wrote reptile, was actually a gomphothere. :unsure:

 

2 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I love how they displayed an adult human femur next to the Apatosaurus femur to give people an idea of size. I figured my kid would make it more interesting lol.

I agree! :thumbsu:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troodon

Thanks for the post looks like a nice place to visit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJB

 Neat stuff.  Thanks for the museum tour.

 

RB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thelivingdead531
11 hours ago, jpc said:

It is a nice place.  Did you see my colleague Russell's paleo artwork?  

I’m honestly not sure, we saw so many things. :unsure: Do you happen to have a photo of his artwork that is at the museum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpc

It is a display of maybe 20 black and white (mostly) illustrations of prehistoric beasts.  Russell Hawley is his name. He had a special exhibit a year or so ago, and when it was over they asked if they could just keep it up.  Here is his interpretation of the Eocene of Wyoming. 

5fa97501ccf48_RJHWasatch.thumb.jpg.6a2b2212d336c46153f593b5f4ce4f39.jpg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thelivingdead531

Sadly, I did not see any art like that. A lot of the building seemed to be closed off, so if it’s on display then it could have been in a different part than where we were allowed to go (or I just happened to miss it entirely). I plan to go back a few more times before we leave Wyoming so I’ll keep an eye out for his art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clint08

Looks like a nice museum, thanks for the trip report! Love all the dinosaur exhibits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×