Top Trilo’s drawings

Top Trilo

It shows!

Great detail on the horn. Especially that part really pops out of the paper.

Aloha,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff, for your otodus sculpture I  think next time maybe use a toothbrush to give the root some more texture:)

• Thank You 1

• 2 months later...

It’s been a while since I drew something. This time I tried a color one. I rarely do color and this is why. I’m sure I’d get better with practice but it is much harder than black and white. Color is a whole nother dimension where instead of just light to dark you have light to dark with red to purple. I struggle to get the texture I want and it’s harder to blend. Either way I’m happy with how it turned out. Can you guess who’s fossil it is?

E1CF88F4-C008-4777-8ECF-EE73643E037A.thumb.jpeg.ed656bfa9522c004d5c5ab84ba9ccf75.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Can't guess the fossil, but you certainly show an eye for colour! Well done.

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 1 month later...

The next one isn’t really a fossil but was inspired by @aerogrower profile picture. It was quick and didn’t take long on account of the smaller size but still fun to do with a lot of measuring and getting the angles right. When you look straight at the paper it looks stretched but when you lower your view at the right angle it looks like a cube. This is what it looks like from above

72356CA6-A672-4389-BFDE-F02D9E6CB703.thumb.jpeg.f1eeaff6f238db1288da772591acbceb.jpeg

And this is what it looks like when lowered to the right angle

2C4A18E5-377A-4373-AF38-28084D0B4BC8.thumb.jpeg.afde7eb6f9d5facb2a9b642a73397c26.jpeg

The elrathia in the picture is not drawn.

Oh and the above color ammonite drawing was @RuMert fossil of the month winner from a few months back.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 7

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

Hi Top Trilo,

great effect! I have seen that trick used to make zebra crossings look like 3d-objects.

Good practice to construct and draw something like that by hand.

I could not resist to use some computer trickery though to try and make the trilo fit the cube:

3dlobite.jpeg

• Thank You 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 1 month later...

Did one of @RJB wonderful crabs recently, can’t imagine how hard it would be to prep these since the legs could be in any position if they are even there. It was a fun one though.

C576C572-B3F4-4AF1-ACA7-487E68066623.thumb.jpeg.56dd120ec188cafd18637b2cae9ad18d.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

I just finished drawing @Malcolmt’s recent prep, “Madonna and Child”. It had a lot of shading across the entire specimen, the repeating pattern of the thorax and then another smaller version to top it off, altogether a wonderful piece to draw.

A17D17D5-51B5-4097-8EAA-A8DF1177071B.thumb.jpeg.5a987f8c76de3e13fd50712bc214b5a6.jpeg

• Enjoyed 11

Wow! This is amazing! You've progressed a lot since your last drawing. Just, wow. Well done!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Wow! This is amazing! You've progressed a lot since your last drawing. Just, wow. Well done!

Thanks Kane, that means a lot coming from another artist I look up to.

You will surpass me easily, and that makes me happy. :) Again, so well done!

• Thank You 1

Wow you done good!!!!!!!. Do you mind if I send the pic to Dr. Caron at The Royal Ontario Museum.... Actually if you could PM me a higher resolution copy. Just noticed that the image size is not that big

Edited by Malcolmt
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Thanks Malcolm, I don't know what to say, I'm very glad you liked this, and yes, you are welcome to share it. PM sent

And thanks Isaac, I appreciate your kind words.

Thank you Adam, I do appreciate it

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I drew something, I started this after my last one but then stopped for a little bit, after @Ludwigia said he “felt the urge” a few days ago I just had to finish this, and am very glad with how it turned out. #91 in @rew’s extensive collection. This Coltraneia oufatenensis from an angle I have never done before.

1D83F659-CC34-4B64-8D44-ABE95885CB4B.thumb.jpeg.390c0cbfe8bdef731990757d70e42ff3.jpeg

edit: changed picture as previous one looked a bit blurry

Edited by Top Trilo
  • Enjoyed 10

Thanks guys for your comments, much appreciated.

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

May I ask which pencils you are using?

Only a 5H for the beginning outline, just enough to see it but not too dark so I can erase or change it if I want to. I also use the 5H for some of the lighter shading work and for sharp thin lines. I use a 2B for most of the shading after the outline, I find its dark enough to get the contrast but still not too dark. For the darkest areas I use a 6B. I'm sure as I get pickier I will decide to use the whole range but as of now, those three do just fine.

• I found this Informative 3

Nice job on all your drawings @Top Trilo! I am quite impressed with them - I especially like your trilobites. ;) Thanks for posting (and please keep it up)! :)

• Thank You 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

A quick one, a eurypterid. Quick probably because of the lack of detail and shades. In a flat 2D fossil like this you don’t get the light bouncing off it at weird angles. Next one will be a trilobite, I promise but which one? :zzzzscratchchin:

08298733-C08D-4A1C-BAB0-3E39549CF057.thumb.jpeg.605dc12e697bc18c90f6f517d39cef91.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6