Jackmandu

Calcareous algae might have a slim chance as well.

Mostly based on the structure of modern examples. I have no fossil as reference. 

I found something that looks just like this on the beach in runton england.  At the marine museum there, one of the curators (not the paleontologist) said that it was geological but didnt have further info.  I had hoped it was spong-- he said it was mineral.  i will insert my photo later.

20 minutes ago, 10313horn said:

one of the curators

Having a shirt with the logo on it doesn't always make one a curator. It might be worth questioning still.

This is what I found in runton beach, england an area with cretaceous and pleistocene fossils.   I think it is very similar to jackmandu's piece.  As I said I was told it was mineral, but I brought it home anyway.  I had hoped it was a silicate sponge  all opinions and thoughts are welcome.

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

you are correct,  it is sometimes surprising to me the difference between what I remember and what I see.  I do think they are similar,  and maybe the same thing,  but it is not as alike as I remembered it being.  

3 minutes ago, 10313horn said:

you are correct,  it is sometimes surprising to me the difference between what I remember and what I see.  I do think they are similar,  and maybe the same thing,  but it is not as alike as I remembered it being.  

I'd say join the club, but I'm not sure there is capacity available now. :)