Need help for ID

PaleoOrdo

I cannot figure out what is this fossil. Can anyone help me for ID? I found it in an area in Norway in the Oslo field, ordovicium or silur area. Could it be a part of sea-lily?

ball1.thumb.jpg.231886e868319350b3f8ab3cfc7f36fc.jpgball2.thumb.jpg.e65c285fc8b85223c71ce66911aaa94f.jpgball3.thumb.jpg.565a4c1f91de20ea7f4e59345ed0d6c6.jpg

Lobolith was my first impression, but the adjacent bulbs of Loboliths have spherical geometry, not conical like it's visible in the specimen in question. I don't think we have a crinoid floating organ here.

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

conical like it's visible in the specimen in question.

Like would be most evident (or not) in the one angle that is not well represented ? :)

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Like would be most evident (or not) in the one angle that is not well represented ? :)

:)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you all for your viewpoints. I agree that it seems to be a crinoid lobolith. On the other hand:

8 hours ago, abyssunder said:

he adjacent bulbs of Loboliths have spherical geometry, not conical like it's visible in the specimen in question

Do you refer by "bulbs" to the small circles in picture 2 or to the whole figure or lobolith? 

What is the functions of these smaller circles? Some kind of "anchors"? Could it be an Scyphocrinid? I am doubtful of that. Acccoring to an article I found online ( http://www.mprinstitute.org/vaclav/Scyphocrinites.htm ) "Scyphocrinitid crinoids occur almost worldwide in the Siluro-Devonian boundary formations in Europe, Asia, North Africa and North America. They are the only crinoids in the history of the class bearing a special organ for buoyancy, so-called lobolith." (Meaning that the only loboliths which have existed are scyphocrinids?)  I believe the site is much earlier than this age, according to the geological map of NGU. If so, and if it is a lobolith, then it must be an interesting find?

Morover, about the shape: 

Two different types of loboliths are now known: the subspherical, orange-shaped, cirrus lobolith with numerous chambers of unequal size and the lobed plate lobolith with a few large chambers, a curved, bilaterally symmetric root trunk, a simplified wall structure, and a characteristic collar. So, it seems, it is a lobe plate lobolith?

• I found this Informative 1