Tidmoor Point UK - Merlins Hat (!) & Shark Teeth?

Fiendish frogman

Hello everyone,

So here we are, back in lock-down so an ideal time to review some finds. Just prior to the latest imprisonment I dashed down to Tidmoor Point near Chesil Beach for the day and grabbed some gravel to look through at home during the long nights. A few interesting items turned up and I wonder if anyone can help ID them please?

The first 2 photo's show 3 teeth, the first 2 look to be from the same type of animal, the last evidently something very different. Do you think these were from (small) sharks or some kind of fish, (the divisions on the ruler are in mm).

The last 3 photo's look like Merlins hat! At first they looked like teeth but now I'm leaning towards some kind of coral. Once again many thanks for any help you can offer - good luck in your fossil hunting!

Best regards

Keith

20201114-113438-893.jpg

20201114-113626-446.jpg

20201114-113755-29.jpg

20201114-113856-229.jpg

20201114-114025-109.jpg

I agree with belemnite phragmocones for the last two.

Your three teeth are indeed shark. The rightmost tooth is a partial hexanchid (cow shark) tooth, the other two i am not sure given that they are missing the roots. 

Tidmoor Point mainly produces Oxford Clay fossils (Jurassic, approx. 163 Ma) but the colour of the hexanchid tooth root is not as dark as most Oxford Clay teeth i have seen. Maybe some other members can weigh in on this, but is it possible the teeth are from a younger deposit nearby? 

• I found this Informative 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the useful information you have passed on. I was particularly interested to hear about the phragmocones which despite having collected many belemnites over the years I had never heard of them. You learn something new every day - Many thanks :-)