Sjfriend

This trilobite pygidium was found in a talus slope at base of Fossil Mountain in Western Utah. As you can see it is quite weathered. I found it about 25 years ago when my mom and I went back country driving in my Ford Tempo lol. That car went into a number of not car friendly areas haha. From what I know of area geology I believe it would be Ordovician in age

20201112_183143~4.jpg

Hmmm, I think Olenoides is more spinose but I could be wrong. I'm pretty stumped by this one :headscratch:

Scott would likely have an answer for you. Perhaps @Kane might have some insight as well.

My guess would be Cybelopsis sp. from the Lower Ordovician. If the axial lobe was there, we could be more certain as there are two other close matching trilobites.

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Someday I'll have to finally get my abrasion unit built (which would have to include a shed to use it in) to see whats under the matrix.

From looking back at the older thread I'm inclinded to go with Cybelopsis sp? for now. This my largest trilobite find yet (if even just a part)

3 hours ago, D.N.FossilmanLithuania said:

Your specimen looks like pygidium of Devonian acastoid trilobite :)

On 11/17/2020 at 7:40 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Yep. Same site. Same scree but close to erosion source . Not fun climbing to it either. Here’s better pics :

CE1CC97D-70F0-49C8-BD6B-39C11502E111.jpeg

39BAFF5F-7195-4D61-B4A5-46E1272979FB.jpeg

8 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Yep. Same site. Same scree but close to erosion source . Not fun climbing to it either.

And I drove there in a Ford tempo lol. Passed a couple guys in lifted trucks, the looks we got :default_faint:I really want to go back and see if I can find a better piece.

50 minutes ago, Sjfriend said:

And I drove there in a Ford tempo lol. Passed a couple guys in lifted trucks, the looks we got :default_faint:I really want to go back and see if I can find a better piece.

Easy to get to the mountain, but these guys are eroding out from near the top of the north side south face. Its dangerous due to the loose screen and lots of snakes warming themselves up. You are lucky yours was near the bottom!

I plan to head back for an extended stay at the site in 21- I only spent about 4 hours there because Cowboy Pass was my main goal that trip

On 11/19/2020 at 8:12 PM, LabRatKing said:

I plan to head back for an extended stay at the site in 21- I only spent about 4 hours there because Cowboy Pass was my main goal that trip

If I remember right we spent less than an hour. We were just sightseeing on way between central Utah and California. My mom (about 70 then) was always up for exploring lol.

And snakes never bother me, kind of a snake nut lol