Another hadrosaur egg thread - fake?

Bethshine83

Hi

My son has recently been given this ‘fossil’ by a relative. They bought it about 20 years or so ago from an antique shop in Hong Kong. 

They were sold it as a hadrosaur egg but we have no idea really if it is or not. I’m inclined to think not simply because I’m always suspicious 

319A0302-88F0-454D-B793-D0C8E8B7A0A8.jpeg

Actually, this one looks pretty good to me from these pictures. I don’t see any signs of compositing or the usual tool marks.

I’m no expert on eggs, but if this is a doctored or fake, it’s a fine job and worthy of pride. Generally I can spot work/composites/art pretty well.

some close ups might help the “egg heads” out more.

• I found this Informative 1

No information at all. It weighs about 3.2kg and it’s about 6.5 inches wide. The egg itself. And just under 3inches high? Again not taking the matrix part into it. 

14 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Actually, this one looks pretty good to me from these pictures. I don’t see any signs of compositing or the usual tool marks.

I’m no expert on eggs, but if this is a doctored or fake, it’s a fine job and worthy of pride. Generally I can spot work/composites/art pretty well.

some close ups might help the “egg heads” out more.

Thanks I will upload a couple more photos. We would be pleased if it were to likely be real. 

Just a thought, if you have a black light give it a shine. Sometimes that helps identify if work has been done 

Looks real but its difficult to determine what has been done to it.  Its most likely a Dendroolithus type egg and known to be one containing Hadrosaurs

• I found this Informative 3

4 minutes ago, jpc said:

Looks like it could use a good dose of air abrasive.

Yup. But it sure looks legit to me. Can’t wait to see some close ups/ macros as the provenance predates mass produced repop/ wire wheel composite!

Welp, I’m sold. Looks legit to me.

however I specialize in worms that don’t leave fossils...so I leave it to the pros.

I see none of the usual red flags.

16 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Welp, I’m sold. Looks legit to me.

however I specialize in worms that don’t leave fossils...so I leave it to the pros.

I see none of the usual red flags.

Thank you. My son will be pleased. He has quite a fossil collection but nothing too exciting. Triceratops frill is his best thing to date. 

That has every appearance of an authentic egg from China. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, LabRatKing said:

Yikes! That tops mine! Have him post. Love to see his collection!

Well part of one. Not a whole one :rolleyes:

He’s been collecting a while and so all the usual stuff he has and is now expanding to a few more interesting (and expensive obviously) fossils. 

He will be very pleased to know that his egg may well be real. 

Thank you to everyone who took a look. 

I was told that a lot of dinosaur eggs from Mongolia were collected and sold in antique shops in Hong Kong.  That might probably be one of the eggs from Mongolia.  This one looks like a nice one.