What are these?

Joe Salande

I'm a rookie relative to fossil hunting. I think I know what this is, but i don't want to get ahead of myself.

I'm thinking  a Baculite. What do ya'll think.

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

Sadly, doesn't look like a fossil to me. Baculites usually have squiggly suture lines that mark the separation of chambers. It also matters where you found it. Though in Louisiana (assuming you found it there), there aren't any exposed Cretaceous deposits that I'm aware of, so not baculite. Come on over to TX and you can find plenty!

IMG_1554.thumb.jpg.7726518f5e88f79f1a2e1fd50ecf5c4a.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

1 hour ago, ThePhysicist said:

Sadly, doesn't look like a fossil to me. Baculites usually have squiggly suture lines that mark the separation of chambers. It also matters where you found it. Though in Louisiana (assuming you found it there), there aren't any exposed Cretaceous deposits that I'm aware of, so not baculite. Come on over to TX and you can find plenty!

I agree.

Possibly a burrow infilling of something or geologic. 

But the OP does say in his tags, desert find, del rio, texas. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Ah, didn't see the tags. There are Cretaceous deposits nearby, so certainly could be that age. https://txpub.usgs.gov/txgeology/

Ya maybe burrow or geologic? :headscratch:

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Im thinking'sg geologic as well.  To better ID, could you show a photo of the other side?

• I found this Informative 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana