Chedda

I am unsure where they originated from. But the 2nd one was found in my gravel area. The 2nd one reminded me of the favosite coral, but it is not as similar when I compared them.

20201129_142725.jpg

20201129_142729.jpg

20201129_142810.jpg

20201129_142757.jpg

Can you please try to post sharper photos of the first one. It appears to be fossil, but I can't quite make out what. I think the 2nd one is just an extremely weathered rock, at the most something with boreholes in it.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Is it possible to get up close photos of the round portions of the first specimen? It resembles Syringopora coral specimens which are often found in Illinois but a close up will help determine. I think the second specimen is geologic in origin.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Can you please try to post sharper photos of the first one. It appears to be fossil, but I can't quite make out what. I think the 2nd one is just an extremely weathered rock, at the most something with boreholes in it.

IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3357.JPG

59 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Is it possible to get up close photos of the round portions of the first specimen? It resembles Syringopora coral specimens which are often found in Illinois but a close up will help determine. I think the second specimen is geologic in origin.

IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3357.JPG

15 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I think it's a tabulate phaceloid coral, such as Syringopora as @Thomas.Dodson suggested. 

With a small hole in the center and annular rings of smaller holes along the outside ? Where are the tabulae ? Where are the bridging structures ? 

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

With a small hole in the center and annular rings of smaller holes along the outside ? Where are the tabulae ? Where are the bridging structures ? 

The small holes in the centre are the individual corallites, the 'annular rings of smaller holes' are either damage or where the horizontal connecting canals linked the vertical corallites and the tabulae in syringoporids are rarely obvious, though some slight bulges in the sides of the one vertical piece we can see probably indicate their location.

Syringopora kowalensis sp. nov. from Kowala Quarry, lithological set L,...  | Download Scientific Diagram

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png