Tiny trilobite free cheek from the Ordovician

Nautiloid

Hello everyone!

So a while ago I collected a couple of rocks while fishing up near Plattsburgh, NY. These rocks were from the Ordovician Trenton Group and contained a variety of organisms including inarticulate brachiopods and corals. More importantly though, were the variety of trilobites. In one of the rocks I found pieces of Isotelus, Cryptolithus, and Ceraurus. 

I was looking at a small piece of that rock yesterday when I noticed a strange little fossil. It was a tiny, spiny free cheek of a trilobite! It looks very similar to Meadowtownella trentonensis although it could be a different species. I do apologize if the pics aren’t great but the fossil is so small that I had to use my microscope to see any detail lol. Also, how do I get my images to be not turned sideways? :zzzzscratchchin:

Thanks for looking!
Owen

3CB77A03-F7CF-428F-BFF2-49DAB412900C.thumb.jpeg.85f201c17e6b7a56d7c6e8d247258f33.jpeg03116054-9858-4739-9878-3BF4C63F6AEB.thumb.jpeg.eb3711d10aa886fe2c6cebd27fcc356d.jpegF306B7E3-EEB9-4A13-B6BF-F091B0DA0DE9.thumb.jpeg.88cb5da6eda8c9316cb469eb3ee8c48d.jpeg

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looks like a bryozoan to me. 

I agree that the long bumpy part in pics 1&3 does kinda look like a bryozoan lol. Although the spiny part connected to it in pic 2 leads me to believe that it is the long spine coming off the end of the cheek. And that those bumps may just be detail on the spine. 

6921F472-A0A7-40CB-9C80-D0E65D6112C9.thumb.jpeg.a04018ef682b9f09d877f523ed171ad6.jpeg
It looks similar to the cheek of this trilobite from the Trenton Group in NY. 

That image would be a Diacanthaspis parvula from the Rust Fm. The genal spines of Meadowtownella trentonensis are comparatively smooth (although also having a fringe of small anterior spines).

I agree with bryozoan; the small divots are too evenly spaced in an almost fenestrate pattern. The second image of what appear to be fringe-like do give me pause, however.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

24 minutes ago, Kane said:

That image would be a Diacanthaspis parvula from the Rust Fm. The genal spines of Meadowtownella trentonensis are comparatively smooth (although also having a fringe of small anterior spines).

I agree with bryozoan; the small divots are too evenly spaced in an almost fenestrate pattern. The second image of what appear to be fringe-like do give me pause, however.

Since two knowledgable people have said that it’s a bryozoan, then I have to agree with you on that haha. The fossil in the second picture is more interesting though. I’ll have to see if I can get some more detailed pics of it. 

I was able to get an ID from a NY trilobite expert. He was almost certain that it’s a free cheek from Meadowtownella trentonensis!

• I found this Informative 1