Great White Find Today

Bails

I went on a quick hunt this morning. Couldn’t find much at all, only one small tooth, and then stumbled upon this Great White tooth. I have found a lot of teeth in the Charleston, SC area but this is the best Great White I have found to date. I was pretty pumped! 

6E575239-ACD4-480C-B988-BBA4BD897EE7.jpeg

6FEB249B-A77C-44F3-9038-44A7D0C2A132.jpeg

CE884668-8BD3-4E29-8273-E87EA9140126.jpeg

CD6B986E-B2A7-46A6-B94C-B1910188E78C.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

Thanks everyone. Anyone with knowledge on what tooth within the jaw it is? Or the size of the white shark it came from? Looks like the crown is around 1.5 inches so guessing around a 15-16 footer?

3 hours ago, Bails said:

Thanks everyone. Anyone with knowledge on what tooth within the jaw it is? Or the size of the white shark it came from? Looks like the crown is around 1.5 inches so guessing around a 15-16 footer?

It's an upper anterior.  Hard to say whether it was the first or second.  it's also hard to say what the total length was based on what you have there.  You could do some research on modern teeth in the same size range from documented catches.  It's certainly from an adult and you could try confirming that it's in the 12-15 foot range and then be pleasantly surprised if the estimate leans a little more than that.

Jess

3 hours ago, Bails said:

This is my best ever.  I only have 20 of them over 12 years . It seems to come close to your size.

These are scarce i my hunting area. Does anyone have a hunting area where GWs are a common find?

2017May23GreatWhiteTxT.thumb.jpg.d72eee4c5da910ef052e46445c670c63.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

44 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Does anyone have a hunting area where GWs are a common find?

Hi Jack,

In Savannah they were uncommon but not rare. Rare is finding them with a root that is fairly intact. Anyone looking for GW teeth can attest to their lack of root most of the time. The largest is close to 2" on the left. I have found and given away larger blades sans roots. Those were always found on the same stretch of 'beach'.

131252926_1580309005512771_3254537915916368350_n.thumb.jpg.11c0f6fe4e71fd9d8d13196c75faf450.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

8 hours ago, Bails said:

Great White I have found to date. I was pretty pumped! 

Super nice tooth !! .. congrats.  

• I found this Informative 2

On 12/11/2020 at 7:25 PM, Shellseeker said:

This is my best ever.  I only have 20 of them over 12 years . It seems to come close to your size.

These are scarce i my hunting area. Does anyone have a hunting area where GWs are a common find?

2017May23GreatWhiteTxT.thumb.jpg.d72eee4c5da910ef052e46445c670c63.jpg

Great tooth, Jack.  There used to be quite a few California Pliocene sites where great whites were the most common species found including the Kettleman Hills, Capitola area, Oceanside, and various San Diego sites.  Local collectors were thrilled to find a mako, angel shark, or dusky to break up the monotony.  You'd find a surprising number of juvenile teeth too.  Chevron stopped letting people collect in the Kettleman Hills about 15 years ago.  Oceanside is getting built on and all the good sites in the San Diego area have been built on or landscaped over.  You might find some stuff if you got permission to poke around a construction site.

Jess