Mosasaur end of jaw/snout

FF7_Yuffie

Hello,

Is anyone able to narrow this down more specifically? It is listed as end of a Mosasaur jaw---but if someone can narrow it down to a species, that would be great. No teeth unfortunately. I'd quite like it, if a species can possibly be narrowed down becaause then I can display it alongside the teeth. I got one from the same seller, with a tooth that was ID'd on here as Prognathodon which  looks similar. But, I figure it best to post it in case this is from a different, similar species.

it's from Khouribga, Morocco. 

Height = 4cm, length=8 cm, width=5cm

Thanks

1.png

2.png

3.png

1729658102.png

Too pointy to be Prognathodon I think.
But it's definitely a partial mosasaur premaxilla.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks for taking a look and confirming mosasaur ID. It's one I'll be looking at buying after christmas, I think. Don't wanna buy it before lest it get bashed around in the post rush.

Rather pointy and small. Seems too big for Halisaurus, but could be a match for Platecarpus ptychodon / Gavialimimus almaghribensis. Unless we're dealing with a juvenile, that is. In general, though, identifying a mosasaur by its premaxilla - let alone just a fragment of it - is near impossible. Shape and size may give clues, as would teeth. But keep in mind that a lot of mosasaur species are heterodont, thus even having teeth available might still not tell you a whole lot. Another contender could be Eremiasaurus heterodontus, but it's snout is somewhat wider... Thus, if you really want to stick a label on this, I'd go for G. almaghribensis.

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Rather pointy and small. Seems too big for Halisaurus, but could be a match for Platecarpus ptychodon / Gavialimimus almaghribensis. Unless we're dealing with a juvenile, that is. In general, though, identifying a mosasaur by its premaxilla - let alone just a fragment of it - is near impossible. Shape and size may give clues, as would teeth. But keep in mind that a lot of mosasaur species are heterodont, thus even having teeth available might still not tell you a whole lot. Another contender could be Eremiasaurus heterodontus, but it's snout is somewhat wider... Thus, if you really want to stick a label on this, I'd go for G. almaghribensis.

Cheers, thanks for the info. Seems with a piece like this--I'd be best to stick to labelling it unidentified mosasaur, with a note on back with the more likely ones.

Thanks for having a look and for the help.