PODIGGER

Since the Peace River, FL has been running deep and fast for the last few weeks I decided to spend some time prepping and making a display for several proboscidean bones found in the spring.  After posting the bones for id here when they were found and doing a bit of research on my own I believe what I have are pieces of an ulna from either a Mammoth or Mastodon.  There is the possibility of Gomph, but Dr. Hulbert has informed me a couple of times that Gomph specimens have not yet been found in the Peace River.

So first up is a photo of the four ulna sections along with the other specimens found that day.  Several pieces in the pink plastic bucket were later able to be reattached to a couple of the ulna sections.  I did come up with one additional ulna section on a return visit to the same spot later that week.

IMG_2487.thumb.jpg.cefce2cc4ed9abe8ae400cf5e42fd94f.jpg

Next is a photo of the four ulna pieces lined up for an overall idea of size.  Two of these large pieces were able to be put back together after consolidation and formed the standing piece in the display.  They are the two in the middle in the below photo.

20200426_162116_resized.thumb.jpg.9c46d2707dc55edc4653fb05900f1184.jpg

Finally, three photos of the completed display with rulers to get an idea of proportion.  The metal ruler laying flat is 15" overall.  The standing portion of the display consists of two pieces I was able to glue back together after consolidation it measures about 20".  Two of the pieces laying flat had smaller pieces from the pink bucket in the first photo reattached after everything was consolidated with acetone and PVA beads.  I used some scrap wood to make the tray table and post support.  Some soft toy modeling clay was used to rest the base of the upright bone on.  Clay was also used to form a ball over the top of the wooden support post to prevent the post from damaging the specimen.  The tray table was filled with sand to lay the additional pieces on and give it a finishing touch.

thumbnail-2.jpeg.cc64b23ac1253e4085f667ec118b500c.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg.abc56fc37cca6d8dafe060ed60f7b733.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg.5274f6d70dfcc7dbb93e6e1bf491d4bb.jpeg

Looking forward to getting back to the Peace River in the coming week to see what new wonders have been uncovered by the summer rainy season!

• I found this Informative 4