Winter Hobby

My latest completion.  I like this one but still prefer the Mioplosus.  I'm looking for a Priscacara next.  Maybe Santa will bring me a fossil for Christmas!

Diplomysus.thumb.jpg.ee0042d7fa9340adab1ea1988ac7b7c7.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

12 minutes ago, Winter Hobby said:

This is truly addicting

It's hard to stop sometimes. Nice job on the diplo!

:tff:

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I use a matte clear enamel spray paint. It was recommended to me by the guide in Wyoming who took us out on a dig. 

Not everyone agrees with this but since oil-shale isn't the most stable matrix and I wanted to seal it. 

On 12/16/2020 at 8:46 AM, Winter Hobby said:

I use a matte clear enamel spray paint. It was recommended to me by the guide in Wyoming who took us out on a dig. 

Not everyone agrees with this but since oil-shale isn't the most stable matrix and I wanted to seal it. 

I'm in the disagree camp. This stuff isn't intended for long term preservation and will seriously degrade in the future. Do yourself a favor and get some Paraloid B72. It is indefinitely stable and in the long run, is cheaper than spray enamel. The GRF oil shales are very stable once inside your home. Sometimes they need some gluing after they dry (immediately after excavation) but overall, they are pretty robust. If there's not obvious cracking along the bedding plane, it doesn't need anything. I only stabilize the fish itself because fossil bone of all kind is inherently unstable and fish bone is notoriously so.

I've had the "pleasure" of trying to remove old shellac, lacquer, enamel, etc from fossils more times than I want to think about. It is not an enjoyable experience and there's always damage to the specimen, most of the time from the material degradation. It may not happen for 50 years but it will and someone will have to deal with it. Or worse, your fossil will get thrown in the trash.

The only time I would consider a spray on coating is on some of the mini fish layers. Any exposure to light will often bleach out the color of the fish.

• I found this Informative 1

16 minutes ago, Winter Hobby said:

Does the B72 five the deep brown resin look?  

Definitely not it is clear and can leave a shiny look but that can easily be removed with a q tip and some acetone

• I found this Informative 2