bhkr7

Hello,

I am brand new at starting to look for artifacts and fossils and was hoping to get the opinions of some more experienced people. I just recently found this item,(which after some initial research, my best guess is a cow or bison tooth) and was looking to see what others thought it might be. I found it on a sandbar on the Missouri River near St. Louis, MO. I was curious if there were any features about it such as color or something else that also might indicate if it is relatively new or a pretty old tooth. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks for your help! 

-Brad

thumbnail_DSC_0071.jpg

thumbnail_DSC_0074.jpg

thumbnail_DSC_0075.jpg

thumbnail_DSC_0076.jpg

thumbnail_DSC_0077.jpg

It appears to be Bison. Cow stylids aren't isolated like Bison stylids. See how it is separated from the crown in the attached picture. I'd assume it is a pretty old tooth (maybe pleistocene) by the looks of the decent color change in the enamel. This is from changes in mineral structure that occur during fossilization but this varies by environment and it's not really possible to assign a specific age from a loose tooth like this.

IMG_6980.JPG

• I found this Informative 5