musicnfossils

I don’t know anything about ID’ing footprints so hopefully you guys can help me. It doesn’t look like one to me but I’m still curious. I don’t know exactly where this was found as it was given to me so unfortunately I don’t know the formation. 

207A64D5-7A91-429B-89CA-3EDD8D98FBEE.jpeg

7F1388BF-E681-42A0-8E73-C791FC7FCCC5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Agreed that it is curious and could be imagined to be a footprint but I think you are correct in that it is only a footprint mimic of some natural geological process. You can see layering elsewhere on the slab and I think these depressions likely represent something other than what would have been left by a whomping big foot. Concretions, as has been suggested, would be a likely candidate for something that could make that pattern.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 4

Flowing water can create a pattern like this. The sediments that collect could easily create conditions that favored sandy layered concretions, or something similar.

• I found this Informative 3

Bummer, thanks guys. Figured I’d check cause the family friend who found it was certain that’s what she found. 

4 minutes ago, musicnfossils said:

the family friend who found it was certain that’s what she found.

It is conceivable that it is a track. I just think the odds are fairly heavily against it.

• I found this Informative 2

I would lean towards some sort of ripple mark. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

33 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It is conceivable that it is a track. I just think the odds are fairly heavily against it.

To be honest if I found it I would have thought it was one as well. It really looks like something pressed into that sand.