Nautiloid Display Options

Planko

Hey all. I have a19 inch diameter Nautiloid I am trying to display. I was thinking of something like a plate stand like my wife has holding her very large plates. Problem is this nautiloid weighs close to 25 or so pounds. Yea, I drug that thing out of NSR. Any ideas on where to find a good display option. 

As also, thank you in advance for any feedback. 

Given the weight, you'll definitely want to go with a metal stand. Maybe show us a picture of the beast, and some of our stand-making members could provide their keen advice!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Go out and dig up a stump of similar diameter. Pick one with support roots close to a right angle from the stump. Leave said roots attached and level the bottom to sit with stability. Leave the stump/roots rustic with the bark on, except for the top surface, level and sand smooth. Drill the top to accept 1" dowels, two in back, two shorter in front. Space them front to back at a distance to obtain the display angle you desire. Apply finish to your taste. Thank me later for a breath taking display idea for your big fossil.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

If you want to sit it on a surface, you can look for options at our favorite auction site by searching "iron display stand".

If you want to put it on the wall, go this page and look down at Harry Pristis' post.  I did it, it works.

Here is a pic as I got it out of the matrix. It was already crack and I have repaired that. Another cool part that it has a clam casting in the opening.

Nautilode.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

On 12/20/2020 at 6:11 PM, RuMert said:

Would be interesting to see it:) BTW it weighs very little given its size

I was guessing on the weight. It might be more. 

On 12/20/2020 at 7:35 PM, snolly50 said:

Go out and dig up a stump of similar diameter. Pick one with support roots close to a right angle from the stump. Leave said roots attached and level the bottom to sit with stability. Leave the stump/roots rustic with the bark on, except for the top surface, level and sand smooth. Drill the top to accept 1" dowels, two in back, two shorter in front. Space them front to back at a distance to obtain the display angle you desire. Apply finish to your taste. Thank me later for a breath taking display idea for your big fossil.

Good suggestion. Wonder how mad my neighbor would be when I cut down his tree to get the stump. :heartylaugh:

If I was not in a rental I would consider hanging it on the wall. 

Thank you for the ideas. 

There are a few more in the creek bed. Not quite as big but I do not feel like digging through the concrete to get them. This one was hanging off the side of the bank.