Striking Out - On the Woodbine

Titan

I had the opportunity for a half-day of fossil hunting Saturday and went out to Mansfield looking for Lower Britton formation outcrops. I'd done some prospecting and thought I had a few sites, but as it turns out I hit the Woodbine. My second location was a total bust and I found nothing except green brier, cockle burs, and alluvium. Still found a few specimens that made it into the collection, which is much better than sitting at home or striking out completely. I've made it to a point in my collecting that I'm no longer satisfied with sites I can find online and have switched to prospecting new sites. So far I am one success out of four tries but it's a lot better than doing the same thing over and over plus an added benefit is that after failing to find anything for a few trips finding even an oyster is exciting! Perspective is everything :ighappy:

Part of the site:

Site.jpg.24a9248c965d91bca19631baa2c81698.jpg

Oysters, Ostrea leveretti seems a likely match:

1.jpg.b95db55a28652cf8222f9e51a0918ae5.jpg

2.jpg.6562acee8d22dfcc17a2aac3870e59f4.jpg

I liked this one especially:

4.jpg.9f1b806ae8969531ae61daed206242d1.jpg

6.jpg.8101753f0a4fc78ef6f431e4359dd4e7.jpg

5.jpg.6bc022a0b95e545ae45514b98ccb63b1.jpg

I'm not that into minerals, but I thought this Gypsum was worth picking up:

9.jpg.b81aea8a805ee71e5a5f7c8be0f1d19b.jpg

Wishing y'all luck out there!

- James

• I found this Informative 7

1 hour ago, Titan said:

I had the opportunity for a half-day of fossil hunting Saturday and went out to Mansfield looking for Lower Britton formation outcrops. I'd done some prospecting and thought I had a few sites, but as it turns out I hit the Woodbine. My second location was a total bust and I found nothing except green brier, cockle burs, and alluvium. Still found a few specimens that made it into the collection, which is much better than sitting at home or striking out completely. I've made it to a point in my collecting that I'm no longer satisfied with sites I can find online and have switched to prospecting new sites. So far I am one success out of four tries but it's a lot better than doing the same thing over and over plus an added benefit is that after failing to find anything for a few trips finding even an oyster is exciting! Perspective is everything :ighappy:

At least you found some decent fossils.  I spent five hours Saturday at Joe Pool lake (Eagle Ford Formation).  Finding nothing other than chunks of Septarian Nodules and small ammo imprint. 

septarian imprint.JPG

ammo.JPG

2 hours ago, Creek - Don said:

Finding nothing other than chunks of Septarian Nodules and small ammo imprint

Sounds oh so familiar! Glad you made it out as well :thumbsu:

@Castle RockYessir! Your profile name reminds me of visiting castle rock when I was 13. My Mom took me on a week long fossil hunt out in Kansas and we got to see that and a lot of the Niobrara chalk. She was a lot better at finding teeth than I was, but I found a lot of vertebrae and one partial Enchodus skull. Y'all are lucky out there in north western Kansas!

On 12/21/2020 at 11:06 AM, Titan said:

@Castle RockYessir! Your profile name reminds me of visiting castle rock when I was 13. My Mom took me on a week long fossil hunt out in Kansas and we got to see that and a lot of the Niobrara chalk. She was a lot better at finding teeth than I was, but I found a lot of vertebrae and one partial Enchodus skull. Y'all are lucky out there in north western Kansas!

I have to add that I am luckier still because I have full access to family owned land and I always have a placer to stay less than a mile from my happy place!  Dave

I think many of us have had an oyster day or two but your find has both valves and some interesting colors!

Thanks for the outcrop photos and oyster specimen shots! 

Regards, Chris