Tooth or Rock?

Crissie

Hello All.

I recently purchased an older home in North Carolina. This was found in the attic during clean up.

Is it possible that it is a tooth, or just an oddly tooth shaped rock? I have no information other then what I have given.

How can I tell for sure?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.c33822d3dcb39c7227ef9abed3712e22.jpg

Edited by Crissie
Added missing photo.

Hello, Crissie, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

It's too big for a tooth and there is no evidence of enamel or a root structure. 

Just eroded limestone, I think. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hello! I concur with Tidgy's Dad, it's a nicely shaped rock

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

This could just be a water worn cobble giving it that nice smooth shape but the edge view seems to indicate that it has a bit of a sharper edge than would normally be expected from a worn cobble. I'm wondering if this might be some sort of a flattened concretion forming between two layers that could possibly explain the thinner than expected edges? Going on nothing more than gut feel here from numerous concretions I've seen at places like Mazon Creek.

Agreed with the others that it lacks the identifying features that would be present in a tooth (enamel, root, etc.). It would also be absolutely huge if it were a tooth. Even a large T-rex tooth would look tiny compared to this five pounder.

Don't know why they would have stored this rock in the attic. Possibly, it had sentimental value to the previous owners or perhaps they just needed a big honkin' rock to hold down or press something?

Cheers.

-Ken

many rocks were heated on a stove to warm a winter bed or a foot warmer in a sleigh or buggy. I have seen many flat like soap stone with a handle and few times with a charcoal or coal  burner at estate auctions.  

• I found this Informative 1