2nd attempt, vinlandostrophia brachiopod

Tunis

Here is my before and after on my 2nd attempt of prepping my brachiopods from Nashville. It is hard to know where to stop on these. The shale matrix is one thing but the hard, crystal matrix is another! Plus I find that the shell is not complete after cleaning the matrix, or has growth layers? which create a ridge which is very hard to clean. Anyways, I think I have learned enough that I am going to try and prep a complete shell. Wish me luck.

6DC83B78-88E4-49AC-BAD1-6C09DDC2A29D.jpeg

A1BB0F1E-189A-495D-AAEB-3DA3354C14AF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

I love these brachiopods; though the genus for the American species is now Vinlandostrophia, Platystrophia being reserved for some European species.

Brachiopods have layered shells, so, yes, you can sometimes find lower layers preserved at the surface of the specimen where the outer layer has been broken away.  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you for the correction. I have read up on the name change and I have edited my post. Just about the time I learn how to spell platystrophia, I now have to learn a new name!! Lol

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, Ken K said:

Looking good Tunis!  Rule of thumb...always better to under prepare than over prepare...

Very true. 

Tunis, don't overdo it. 

As it happens I am busy prepping some Vinlandostrophia ponderosa, V. laticosta, V. hopensis and V. crassa at the moment.

Some of the matrix is too difficult to remove without scratching the specimens, either because it's too gloopy or hard or because the crevices in the folds of the brachiopods go to such a fine angle that even the sharpest pin won't get in without breaking the side walls. I have chipped a little shell here:

V. laticosta5fe658b968a0e_Vlaticosta4.thumb.jpg.3094ddd515753131e7ab7c744409b8ca.jpg

These are better left as they are, reasonably well prepped but further work would damage them with the equipment at my disposal.

5fe65939982ce_Vinlandostrophiapon2.thumb.jpg.3f8d14e039a25424d6d10b99131b5f41.jpg

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I agree! Yours look great. As much as would like to see a “perfect” fossil emerge from the matrix, I understand the impossibility of that. 

1 hour ago, Tunis said:

I agree! Yours look great. As much as would like to see a “perfect” fossil emerge from the matrix, I understand the impossibility of that. 

It’s hard to know when to stop with a prep, but I think it boils down to skill, the tools at hand, and knowing the limitations of both. 

A needle might not be able to get into a small crevice that an abraded would, or you may encounter some tough matrix for the first time and not know how to deal with it. Don’t be afraid to set a specimen aside and come back after a few more hours of prep under your belt, or when your tools improve to better handle a situation. 

BTW... Not bad at all for your second prep. You did well and should be proud of your work. I particularly like your second set of posted pictures. A lot of improvement made there. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

If you don't over-prep you can always come back to the specimen later and prep some more when you have better tools and experience.  You can't come back later replace detail that has been removed by a bad prep.  You're doing well but never be afraid to stop for the time being if you aren't confident you are doing the right thing.

Don

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Sometimes, just sometimes, they come out perfectly

Yes. Yes they do!

Beautiful Adam. Well done. :b_love1::tiphat:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)