ScottBlooded

Four separate specimens, all partials. Found in the needmore formation (mid Devonian) near Winchester Virginia.

First specimen- first 2 pictures- 1.6 cm: I’m guessing some sort of orthocone nautiloid but the evenly spaced squigly patterns threw me off (I find a lot of them but they don’t have that pattern). Also the fact that it bends a bit (second photo is taken at an angle to give an idea how the cast bends) although this could be from geologic forces.

Second specimen- second two pictures- 3 mm: I honestly have no clue. Seemingly has spines? Seemingly thin bodied? Body seems like it has two lobes that might have some kind of segmentation?

Third specimen- 5th photo- 4 mm at widest point: I would have assumed it was a partial of some kind of brachiopod but the pattern is checkered which I haven’t seen in a brachiopod out here. Also has those 3 main parallel ridge lines.

Fourth specimen- 6th and 7th picture- 5mm: I know it looks like a crinoid stem cross section but they don’t look like that in this formation. I’ve found one other specimen that’s identical to this one but I can’t find it at the moment. Both are convex and don’t have any material continuing through the rock, it’s almost like a button.

As always I’m greatly appreciative of the help I always find here. Y’all are alright.

6FD02528-63F5-4593-B062-A64D1F0F6BF2.jpeg

2172DF47-EFCC-43CA-ACA7-7A9634B2757C.jpeg

98DCCBD4-D330-4234-9A2D-F87D5BDC50AD.jpeg

49813C59-9D1B-4851-BDE8-8DA7A348E5C6.jpeg

CAA5378B-BC61-4DBA-8892-53D03D63820E.jpeg

9AE0292F-5D87-40A9-98E9-8E9FD2506977.jpeg

73B08AD8-1C37-41CA-AA92-48401F911473.jpeg

Nice finds!

I think that #1 is a Crinoids stem impression, the squiggly bits are where the columnals would have met.

I found this picture online, the quality isn't great but it demonstrates the point:

PicsArt_12-27-12_29_36.jpg.ae22608100ed8be2317c39ba061caebf.jpg

For #2 would it be possible to get some more pictures? The ones here are too low resolution to really be able to make out what it is although it does have an interesting shape.

Not sure about 3

The last piece looks like it could be one of the chambers of an orthoconic nautiloid, the individual pieces have a convex side which is what you could be seeing here and the bit in the middle could be the siphuncle of the nautiloid.

• I found this Informative 1

1 - I think may be a scaphopod.

2 - May be a cephalopod. (nautiloid), but the indications aren't clear.

3 - Looks very much like a crushed nautiloid  orthocone.

4 - Most likely a layered concretion.

• I found this Informative 2

#1 and # 2 are too vague for me to draw any conclusions.

#3 to me, looks more like ornamentation of a pelecypod or gastropod, than cephalopod.  :unsure: 

#4 looks like an inarticulate brachiopod - something like Crania or Orbiculoidea.

inarticulate.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

16 hours ago, Misha said:

Nice finds!

I think that #1 is a Crinoids stem impression, the squiggly bits are where the columnals would have met.

I found this picture online, the quality isn't great but it demonstrates the point:

PicsArt_12-27-12_29_36.jpg.ae22608100ed8be2317c39ba061caebf.jpg

For #2 would it be possible to get some more pictures? The ones here are too low resolution to really be able to make out what it is although it does have an interesting shape.

Not sure about 3

The last piece looks like it could be one of the chambers of an orthoconic nautiloid, the individual pieces have a convex side which is what you could be seeing here and the bit in the middle could be the siphuncle of the nautiloid.

I got a better look at the cross sections at one end of the first specimen and agree, definitely crinoid. I ruled it out initially because I see TONS of them out there and they’re alway 1/8th the diameter, poorly preserved, no patterning save for on cross sections. Guess he was just a particularly beefy stem. 
The second guy was hard, he’s very small and it’s impossible to get anything of use with my phone, I need to get my actual camera and tripod out to take something of use.

9 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

#1 and # 2 are too vague for me to draw any conclusions.

#3 to me, looks more like ornamentation of a pelecypod or gastropod, than cephalopod.  :unsure: 

#4 looks like an inarticulate brachiopod - something like Crania or Orbiculoidea.

inarticulate.JPG

Do you know of any sites for gastropod ID/info like trilobite.info for trilobites? It comes up a lot. Or cephalopods for that matter.

That brachiopod ID is spot on, thank you. 

On specimen #1, it appears in the picture to taper, a characteristic more of a cephalopod than a crinoid. 

Mike

37 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

On specimen #1, it appears in the picture to taper, a characteristic more of a cephalopod than a crinoid. 

Mike

It just appears to taper because the cast is less complete on that end, optical illusion. Got to looking at it closer today and I could definitely see a crinoid cross section at one end.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, ScottBlooded said:

The second guy was hard, he’s very small and it’s impossible to get anything of use with my phone, I need to get my actual camera and tripod out to take something of use.

Taking pictures of small objects can be a challenge,

You could try purchasing a clip on macro camera, they're pretty cheap online and a good investment if you will be taking more pictures in the future.

I got mine from the auction site as a 3 in one with a wide angle and a fish eye. I don't use the other two but the macro is very useful.

Alternatively, if you have a loupe you could take photos through that, it's harder to get right but it is also an option.