First Whiskey Bridge trip!

Tunis

Waited awhile to post this as I was waiting for my Christmas present to organize my findings. Trip was on 11-28-2020. Took my family of 5 plus a friend of my daughters. It was cold and raining the entire time we were there but everyone had a blast. Bought some cheap ponchos, didn’t work. Discovered that once the clay got wet and sticky it made no difference in what we were wearing. The kids ended up taking their shoes off and going barefoot. It was a mess but a lot of fun. Didn’t think microfossils would interest me but they did. Will plan another trip to see what the site looks like dry. Here are some of what we found. Typical of what everyone finds but exciting nonetheless. Thanks to everyone for posting their stories and helping us out.

10814FEF-BBAB-4773-94F0-D843652F9773.jpeg

66F0549D-DF1C-4C8B-8905-93F911F23FE5.jpeg

E93DB5D0-30BD-49DB-9809-F3E39AFE2723.jpeg

2271D2DB-6E56-45C0-90A2-3D69B2078818.jpeg

CAF91B97-2033-4AB7-9AB3-50BE50DE3631.jpeg

57517CBA-3C90-4AD9-BF59-32798F283A2C.jpeg

F2FE25AC-BFFA-4E9F-B7E7-03CF36FB5B34.jpeg

CE9E84CD-9739-497D-8BBB-A91AFD5801CA.jpeg

340F168A-F193-4388-ABA5-416635012B3B.jpeg

A833FC03-A1D7-4E2A-BCBD-9761FE07A74A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

Yep, you were at Whiskey Bridge.  And you did very well.  Aren't those gastropods exquisite in their preservation, detail and decoration? - marvelous examples of the artwork of nature. :b_love1:

Those are some awesome finds! Congratulations!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Excellent collection of gastropods there. Congratulations. It sounded like it was a fun time for your whole family. What's a little mud? I spent eight days collecting in Texas two years ago, visited 14 sites. Whiskey Bridge  was the last one I made it to and I found it deeply rewarding. It was sunny, humid, and hot that day, but definitely worth more than one visit. Hope you make it back there someday. 

IMG_3397.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

That is one of my favorite sites, although I've only been there a couple of times.  You got some very nice gastropods, especially that Conus sauridens.  Do you have any photos of the microfossils you collected?

Don

If you love that sort of fossil preservation, i recommend checking out the barton beds from the uk, they are very similiar age and preservation and have pretty similiar faunas

if you want to look at some of the exquisite stuff from there here is a website that has a lot of the major eocene uk localities http://www.dmap.co.uk/fossils/

btw great finds!

• I found this Informative 2

42 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

That is one of my favorite sites, although I've only been there a couple of times.  You got some very nice gastropods, especially that Conus sauridens.  Do you have any photos of the microfossils you collected?

Don

I guess my idea of a microfossil is a very small one, less than a 1/4 inch. These finds are not microscopic but tiny for my old eyes!

Still one of my favorite sites. I visited once in 2014 and wound up with like 85 different identified taxa. From one short trip! A lot of the fossils are quite tiny/in the microfossil range but some of those tiny gastropods are the most ornate ones present.