Recent finds; Early Jurassic East Berlin Formation in Connecticut

Cianfaglione

Here are a few recent finds from the Early Jurassic, East Berlin Formation in Connecticut. Comments/corrections are greatly appreciated. The first image I believe is Brachyphyllum. 

DSCN4018 (2).JPG

The closest thing I could find as a match on the web for these minute markings scattered throughout the slab was crane fly larvae. 

DSCN4024 (3).JPG

DSCN4024 (4).JPG

1 - probably bits of Brachyphyllum sp. 

2 - Quite possibly fish scales. Unusual that they are not black, though. 

3 - I think this is plant matter - probably.  The only insects reported from the CT. Shales are beetle elytra, and the larvae Mormolucoides articulatus.

sFig04+7.jpg

4 - Looks like a bent piece of Loperia simplex.

5 - Brachyphyllum sp.  The Pagiophyllum has slightly longer, oblong leaves, where as Brachyphyllum  has smaller, more cuticle-like, scale type leaves.

6 - Looks more like mineral staining to me.  

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you Tim for your prompt response and identifications! The only additional comments I'd like to make about the proposed crane fly larvae, was that under my Leica stereo microscope, the bodies of the markings were all oddly segmented and had darker heads, much like examples of other fossilized crane fly larvae. My initial thoughts were also plants. Thanks again!  

97405-4.jpg

I'm not going to be very helpful with IDs but those are some cool finds!

I have hunted in another formation in CT and I have had a bit of success with some interesting organisms, but you have a nice diversity of finds here!

Thank you for the kind words!! This type of diversity (plant/animal/trace) has really kept me interested in my continued search. Thank you again! 

10 hours ago, Cianfaglione said:

Thank you Tim for your prompt response and identifications! The only additional comments I'd like to make about the proposed crane fly larvae, was that under my Leica stereo microscope, the bodies of the markings were all oddly segmented and had darker heads, much like examples of other fossilized crane fly larvae. My initial thoughts were also plants. Thanks again!  

97405-4.jpg

I'd say this new photo looks rather convincing. Think you can even see the wings... Beautiful find and ditto photo!

annotated.jpg

Searching for green in the dark grey.

2 hours ago, paleoflor said:

I'd say this new photo looks rather convincing. Think you can even see the wings... Beautiful find and ditto photo!

Tim,

I think he was using this as a comparative photo. This is not the material from the site. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

Tim,

I think he was using this as a comparative photo. This is not the material from the site. 

Oh... haha, I thought it was a photo taken through the microscope... My bad! :D

Searching for green in the dark grey.

My sincere apologies for not taking the time to make that clear. It was my stupid mistake. I'm bringing home my Dino Lite Digital Microscope today from work. I will see if I can post the images to this forum tonight. However, the last time I tried, It did not allow me to do so. I may have to re-size the images. Again, sorry for the mix-up. The image was taken from the web when I was looking for comparison pictures. Paul 

• I found this Informative 4