Aglaocrinus crinoid? and tiny trilobite pygium

Bonehunter

Hi all!

Very excited to find this crinoid on the very edge of a cliff and cleaned it just a little to reveal this tiny 4mm wide trilobite pygium right next to it. Using Missourian's key, I think the crinoid is Aglaocrinus ?

The trilobite doesn't look exactly like the pygidiums I have of Ameura so not sure on that one - thoughts?

Am I close? Should I try to clean more of the crinoid? The piece is only another inch or two thick.

Thanks for any help!!  Bone

IMG_9650.jpg.9f28bb792aabbe4b181ba3a722da3753.jpgIMG_9652.jpg.eb1807c4b4471dfcb5a1e113b761d817.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

• 3 years later...

Very nice calyx. It is almost certainly a Cromyocrinid, but there are several similar genera that this could be. If the base is more-or-less flat it could be something like Parulocrinus or Dicromyocrinus and that is what I'm leaning towards. Exposing the anal plates will aid in diagnosis. Are there any arms preserved? Where was this found?

Edited by Mochaccino
  • I found this Informative 1

I had a gastropod with a pygium on its shell but lost it in the process of prep , if you are going to prep further just be very careful, its a beauty as it is 

PS. This looks like the posterior or "anal" side of the calyx

IMG_1829.jpeg.c2e6fe5febc8b202e057c942bfaae095.jpeg

What is the geologic formation/ age they came from? It would help determine what type of pygidium it could be as well as the crinoid.

Edited by Collector9658
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1