Looking for help identifying and prepping a cephalopod fossil.

Neurodynamic

Hello, I am an amateur fossil hunter whos level of knowledge is pretty limited. I love going out and hunting but my ability to identify and prep what I find is quite limited. I found this cephalopod fossil near Cincinnati Ohio a couple of years ago and it is by far my best find ever. I'm typically fine picking at or grinding away with a Dremel trying to prep my finds as they are usually small bits. Nothing I'm worried about ruining. This is something different and I'm pretty apprehensive about working on it. I read there isn't much harm in gluing it back together and I attempter this. It looks ok but 2 pieces didn't take so it's still in 2 pieces. There are also many very thin pieces of shell that came off the back when I dug it out. There also appears to be a small trilobite in the underside of the rock.

What I would like to know is more information on the species it is, as well as if there is a person or place I can send it to get prepped. For identification purposes here is what I know. The area it was found in Cincinnati Ohio in a bed known for Cambrian era fossils. Estimated age is 450-500 million years. 

I am not a rich man so I cannot afford to spend too much on prep but it is the best fossil I've found so far. I would be willing to spend as much as my budget allows on getting it cleaned up and put back together. I do not know what to expect price wise so if anyone has a guestimate please let me know.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone that can help me out.

20190823_080354[1].jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Moved to FOSSIL ID.

Actually,  the area around Cincinnati is Ordovician in age. 

See Geologic map below: 

f012cde31d36dcefbcf0fb3583f4c5fa.jpg

As far as preparation is concerned, people can PM  @Neurodynamic with any offers. 

Brightened and enlarged: 

600d17279b61a_20190823_0803541.thumb.jpg.a41f197934ddd6419cb48cd2eb135709.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My first guess as to ID would immediately be some type of Orthocone Cephalopod. 

I found an old thread from @minnbuckeye that has some more info about them. 

Yes, a Orthocone Cephalopod from the Ordovician as others have said. My opinion is little will be gained with any prepping. If you would purchase an engraving dremel, around $20.00, the matrix stuck on the tail could be worked free. These nataloids are usually fractious and break apart often, usually with gaps between the split pieces. In such cases, I have used gorilla glue with good success as it fills the gaps decently. If there is a tight fit, super glue works fine. By the way, nice discovery! 

Mike

14 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Moved to FOSSIL ID.

Actually,  the area around Cincinnati is Ordovician in age. 

See Geologic map below: 

f012cde31d36dcefbcf0fb3583f4c5fa.jpg

As far as preparation is concerned, people can PM  @Neurodynamic with any offers. 

Brightened and enlarged: 

600d17279b61a_20190823_0803541.thumb.jpg.a41f197934ddd6419cb48cd2eb135709.jpg

Interesting. Locals in the area told me all the beds there were Cambrian. That would explain why I had such difficulty finding any info on it, I was looking in the wrong place. Thanks for the help.

9 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Yes, a Orthocone Cephalopod from the Ordovician as others have said. My opinion is little will be gained with any prepping. If you would purchase an engraving dremel, around $20.00, the matrix stuck on the tail could be worked free. These nataloids are usually fractious and break apart often, usually with gaps between the split pieces. In such cases, I have used gorilla glue with good success as it fills the gaps decently. If there is a tight fit, super glue works fine. By the way, nice discovery! 

Mike

Very cool, thank you. I've never been more excited than when I was pulling it out piece by piece. Really wish I could have found the tip but that was probably lost long ago.