Unusual vert, any ideas?

SULLY

Not sure what this is, but I don’t believe it to be dinosaur. It’s roughly 9” long and 4” at the widest point. Supposed to be Cretaceous. I don’t have any more information at this time about it. Just curious on what the group thinks.

204D37F7-8521-4FCB-910A-F93AF59E9DEA.png

I'd question if this is actually a fossil. An all white cretaceous bone is a big red flag in my book.

• I found this Informative 1

I definitely agree. I know surface finds can be light in color, but they are always severely weathered which this one is not. The long process is really throwing me off also 

29 minutes ago, SULLY said:

Not sure what this is, but I don’t believe it to be dinosaur. It’s roughly 9” long and 4” at the widest point. Supposed to be Cretaceous. I don’t have any more information at this time about it. Just curious on what the group thinks.

Yeah I'm with @LabRatKing Beyond the unusual process, does this look like a thoracic vertebra from a bovid/cow ?  

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

This is certainly a mammal.  It is most certainly NOT Cretaceous as those mammals got no bigger than the neural canal in this vert.

We need better photos to say if it is fossil or mammal.  

• I found this Informative 2

9 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looks like some sort of deer / antelope to me. 

This was my thinking too, however my limited mammal knowledge prevents me from even making an educated guess.

The huge knob on the end of the neural spine should be diagnostic.  Something with a hump... bison, moose?  It looks a lot like my Titanothere vert, but I cannot tell if this is fossil.

Edit:  I just went and looked at out mammoth skeleton, and this could certainly be mammoth.  Mammoths have that  knob on the end of a few thoracic verts.   

• I found this Informative 3

21 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Yeah I'm with @LabRatKing Beyond the unusual process, does this look like a thoracic vertebra from a bovid/cow ?  

Cheers,

Brett

I was thinking bison myself

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana