Sarcosuchus sp?

BellamyBlake

I have here two teeth identified as Sarcosuchus sp. from Kem Kem, Morocco. They don't look like any Sarcosuchus teeth I've seen. Many here are more knowledgeable than I am about crocodiles. Based on these views, can they be identified as such?

These are two different teeth. The first one is 4.2 cm long and nearly 2 cm across the base. The latter is 7 cm and 2.5 cm across the base.

Thank you,

Bellamy

Sarchosuchus-FAR61.jpg

Sarchosuchus-FAR427.jpg

Sarcosuchus is not found in the Kem Kem described from Niger.  You are probably looking at anterior teeth from a croc like Hamadasuchus rebouli

.Screenshot_20210202-144746_Drive.thumb.jpg.5b1bb208e252782f367ba5769f94305a.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Sarcosuchus is not found in the Kem Kem described from Niger.  You are probably looking at anterior teeth from a croc like Hamadasuchus rebouli

.Screenshot_20210202-144746_Drive.thumb.jpg.5b1bb208e252782f367ba5769f94305a.jpg

Thank you as always for your insight! :)

That's pretty interesting! I've never seen the anterior teeth of Hamadasuchus rebouli, just the extremely compressed, knife-like lateral teeth...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Yeah, Sarchosuchus is found in early Cretaceous rocks while the Kem Kem Beds represent an environment at least 10 million years younger.   

Yeah, there is no Sarcosuchus in the Kem Kem beds. Most of the time when people are selling "Sarcosuchus" teeth from the Kem Kem beds, they turn out to be from it's younger cousin Elosuchus. But I agree that this tooth fits better with Hamadasuchus as it's much too slender for Elosuchus.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite