What should I look for?

HuckMucus

I'm thinking on a trip to a spot where I saw a bunch of sea shells south west of La Junta, Colorado.  I'll be prying rock layers apart looking for stuff that strikes my eye.  However, is there anything in particular I should be looking for that would be a real score?  I think the picture is the stuff if I have my dates right.  Thanks.

La Junta.JPG

If you could determine what formation these occur in, you could also do some research on what other fossils can be found in it. As for what would be a "score," that would be any fossil you are excited to find. :) 

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

18 minutes ago, HuckMucus said:

I'm thinking on a trip to a spot where I saw a bunch of sea shells south west of La Junta, Colorado.  I'll be prying rock layers apart looking for stuff that strikes my eye.  However, is there anything in particular I should be looking for that would be a real score?  I think the picture is the stuff if I have my dates right.  Thanks.

Kinda looks like Inoceramus Sp. and they went extinct at the K/T boundary

Well, I'd be excited to find a bison latifrons skull with a Clovis point stuck in it, lying on top of a conquistador helmet, but I'm willing to settle for something that will rock the world of sea shell paleontology.  To  be honest, I was hoping to find fish or sea weed or mammals, but I'm sure it's going to be shells.  I will post pics of what I find.  I'm waiting for it to get warmer and for a friend to sign on with me.  Thanks.  P.S.  The K/T boundary sounds interesting.  At least that would provide some context for you guys when I get back.  I know a little about the Pleistocene, but that's about it.  The rest is Greek to me.

10 hours ago, HuckMucus said:

Well, I'd be excited to find a bison latifrons skull with a Clovis point stuck in it, lying on top of a conquistador helmet, but I'm willing to settle for something that will rock the world of sea shell paleontology.  To  be honest, I was hoping to find fish or sea weed or mammals, but I'm sure it's going to be shells.  I will post pics of what I find.  I'm waiting for it to get warmer and for a friend to sign on with me.  Thanks.  P.S.  The K/T boundary sounds interesting.  At least that would provide some context for you guys when I get back.  I know a little about the Pleistocene, but that's about it.  The rest is Greek to me.

You mean like this?  Texas.

7A7FC5B8-ECE8-4F96-A430-799021FC9224.png

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

You'll never know how jealous I am about that latifrons.  What are those things on the tips of the horns?  I used to hunt them on American Falls Reservoir in Idaho, but, while I found post-cranial stuff, I never found a skull.  I was looking to buy a cast, but always had problems closing the deal.  Now I'm looking at a 3d print of Mary Lou (https://virtual.imnh.iri.isu.edu/BoR) for about $500.00 to $1k.  I am a bison skull hunter though, and have found many in Wyoming and Colorado.  None are fossilized, but the dark brown one is working on it.  The white one is huge.  Each has a story.  I find the skulls last under water and in the mud, but disappear above ground.  Whereas the horn sheaths disappear under water and in the mud but last for ever above ground.  

Here are some:

062110 001.jpg

100511 028.jpg

100511 029.jpg

100511 030.jpg

100511 020.jpg

062110 003.jpg

Sheaths.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

The tips of the cores are ea worn off about 6” and covered with sandstone, and the cranium is also infilled with sandstone which provided support needed for me to haul it off in one piece, jacketless.

• Enjoyed 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Not being much for football, I went out off the Santa Fe Trail in southeast CO yesterday (spot referenced above in first post).  I couldn't find the spot I was looking for with the whiter colored rock, but I found tons of fossils in a darker matrix.  Unfortunately, they are what I would call "rough" and not worth collecting.  I will share some photos in case something jumps out at you.  I'm not really looking for ID.  Just an FYI trip by an amateur.

Timpas 3.jpg

Timpas 5.jpg

Timpas 8.jpg

Timpas 7.jpg

I'm sure you all have taken photos that fall under the category of "you had to be there" or "you have to see it in person".  Here is something that looked like it might have been the imprint of a nautilus or some similar critter.  It's the circular indent.  There are marks that don't show up in the photos.  Hard to explain.  

Timpas 2.jpg