AshNBone

Hello Fossil friends! I have a couple fossils(?) I'm going to see if I can get help identifying. I found all of them in the same local area of a river shore in northeastern Kansas, so I'm assuming Pennsylvanian time frame. I have some fossils that are obvious shells and coral, but these I'm not sure and would like your input! If you need more photos or angles, let me know.

#1 I think is a fish vertebrae that's slightly flattened. It's about 1 cm x .3 cm.

20210208_021035.jpg

20210208_021141.jpg

20210208_021247.jpg

#2 Its got pyrite flecks through it. Seems to have a texture imprint. Might be a replaced form of a branched sponge? About 3 cm x 1 cm

20210208_022803.jpg

20210208_022953.jpg

20210208_022853.jpg

The first one does have the basic shape of a centrum from a fish vert.. I'm not convinced the texture and finer points of morphology are a fit though. It may be a poorly preserved crinoid columnal.

The second one I think looks like burrow fill, a trace fossil, to me. 

The third, I don't believe is bone, spine, or barb. Another trace fossil is my guess, but I really don't know what to make of that texture.

15 hours ago, Rockwood said:

The first one does have the basic shape of a centrum from a fish vert.. I'm not convinced the texture and finer points of morphology are a fit though. It may be a poorly preserved crinoid columnal.

The second one I think looks like burrow fill, a trace fossil, to me. 

The third, I don't believe is bone, spine, or barb. Another trace fossil is my guess, but I really don't know what to make of that texture.

I can try to get some better photos of the first and third one. I was having trouble getting my phone to focus on them.

The third one is thick black with white outside and hollow center, and looks cut or broken on both ends.  I almost thought it was some kind of bead when I found it. Hope to get some better photos of them.

20210208_024401.jpg

20210208_024014.jpg